The Prologue

In the southern kingdoms the sun shined brightly in the sky, not a cloud to be seen.

However in Kiacia the city was lit up by the moon above. Casting a glow onto the brick buildings below causing them to gleam like the water at a faraway beach.

The golden keeps of the castle sparkled like a daydream against the dull starry void of the sky.

The city has cooled significantly as night approached, the moon whisking away the heat of the day causing the city to ultimately come alive.

Kiacia's streets filled with villagers, drinking, laughing, gossiping with friends and family.

The elderly playing chess on boards set up just outside shop widows, children running around the sidewalks, couples bought items from nighttime vendors.

Kiacia was loud and cheerful when the moon arrived.

Actually, not everywhere in Kiacia was cheerful nor was it noisy.

Parts of the village had parts as dark as death, and as silent as shadows. No one from the lively part of Kiacia would be caught dead there.

It was not safe for those kinds of people.

Even those who lurked within the shadows would stick to the hiden alleys and passages that fills those parts, staying out of view of the streets at all costs.

In this part of the village, the paint was chipped or faded, some bricks were missing from the building walls.

Partially built building being the only evidence of the once dreamed of improvements for this area.

The king had many plans all coming to a halt when he fell ill.

All that is left is the skeletal remains.

Like corpses hanging from a gallow.

And here lays where the thugs, murderers and thieves resides.

Here is where the poorest of the poor lived.

The orphans and the unemployable all live in the shadows of Kiacia's once most prized part of the city.

Unwanted children and the ill were discarded here.

Among all this was a home that was just barely better kept than all the other houses. Who's walls looked like they have been patched up within the past few years. A broken vase placed strategically so the good side was only seen dawned a beautiful arrangement of flowers kept alive by the owners regular watering. A tattered mat lays infront of the door for unwelcomed guest to place their shoes onto - in the slim chance they possess a pair.

Through the unglassed window, strangers can hear the soft melody of a woman singing.

If they pulled back the torn curtains of the window, it would reveal a kind-eyed woman. The rags she wore as clothes were clean, as were the fabric of the pants she was sewing in the spotted shaft of the moonlight that cast through the window.

A knock was heard on her door.

The woman was taken by surprised but gracefully stood, placing down her project and approached the door.

"Who is there?" She asked, hand placed gently on the handle.

"It's me, mommy." Was the reply.

A smile quickly grew on the woman's face, she unlocked the door.

"But, Harry," she laughed while opening the door, "you do know better than to-",

Three other's accompanied her son. He was thin and boney. Pale skin and curly brown hair just like his father. He was grimey, dirt covering his whole body.