The Awakening

Sorry readers. I derped last night and watched The Avengers for the eighteenth time instead of updating.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jessie's POV

This time I wake up in a hospital bed with nobody around. The room looks pretty standard and sterile other than a plastic plant in the corner and a piece of art on the wall. Maybe it was all a dream. I could have passed out on the Comic-Con doorsteps. That sounds reasonable. My family will come bursting in through that door over there and be so worried about me. Mom will nag me about taking better care of myself and my little sister will punch me in the arm and tell me to not scare her like that again or she'll just have to kill me and we'll all laugh and go home. I sit up somewhat dizzily, but that fades quickly. My gaze falls on the strange painting across the room. "What the heck is that..." I wonder as my brows furrow in thought. Then I realize that the painting of a tiny green and blue ball on black isn't a painting at all. It's the earth. "Oh fuck" I mentally scream.

Then The Flash bursts in through the door and Batman saunters in half a minute behind him. Flash looks at me with a pitiful gaze and then shakily stutters "You were um... going to tell me something?" "Yes" I blathered to that poor sap from Comic-Con,"But um. I was rude earlier. I should have introduced myself." I smiled and shook his hand "My name's Jessie." Flash grins halfheartedly and corrects me with concern plainly shown across his features. "Nice to finally learn your name, Jessie. But, you weren't rude earlier. You arrived five weeks ago." He rocked back and forth on his heels far too quickly for a normal human, and that paired with the probably-not-fake view of Earth out the goddamn window slapped me across the face with the fact that it wasn't the best coma dream ever. It's a goddamn waking nightmare and I'm living it. My family will never know what happened to me. My mom will blame herself, my sister will be devastated and worst of all, I am horribly and painfully alone. I close my eyes and hope that they are going to hop out from behind the door and tell me that this was all a stupid joke and I'd laugh before I kicked their collective asses for putting me through this shit, but nothing happens. It's not until Barry asks me if I'm okay until I actually notice that I'm crying. I choke out "There's no one waiting for me. I'm not home. I'm stuck here..." Flash's face turned softer as he hands me a tissue "I was." He looks at me with those puppy dog eyes that I've fawned over for years from my dimension.

Embarrassed I quickly wiped my face and changed the subject and asking, "Have you met Wally West yet? He caught on quick and was more than willing to distract me, with a fond smile saying "Yeah. That kid is a little bit of a fanboy though." I rapidly explained that Wally would one day become his prodigy when Batman man interrupts me by whispering in Barry's ear for a few moments. Barry walked past Batman and questioned "Jessie can you understand me?" "Of course I can understand you, you dolt." I answered "Is there something wrong?" Batman started to speak but it sounded like slow motion speech from a movie and I saw what Barry was getting at. The lightening bolt that struck me in Barry's lab gave me super-speed. How else could I be hit by lightening in outer space?