xxii - See you later

The following day Y/n woke up at 4am. The weight of Spencer's arm wrapped around her made her hate every second of having to get out of the bed.

She tried to get up as carefully as she could, to avoid disturbing Spencer.

"You're leaving," Spencer groaned, latching onto her arm.

"I have that meeting," she reminded him. "I always have spare stuff in the car."

"Can I see you later? I want you to talk to you about meeting my mom properly."

A smile spread over her face. "Sounds good. And we should maybe talk about you meeting my dad."

"Prefect." He kissed the hand had but the engagement ring on, and then rolled over snuffing his head into the pillow.

The day passed quickly for Y/n. She kept herself busy in her work. Every now and again she would catch a glimpse of the ring and she couldn't help but smile.

On the other hand, for Spencer the day was slow. The BAU had a respite day so he didn't have much to do at all. The seconds dragged by as he waited for Y/n to call. Eventually he gave up on waiting and decided to go and see his mom in the new facility he had put her in.

When he arrived, he found his mother in her favourite armchair looking out onto the gardens.

"Mom?" He was quietly hoping she was having a good day.

Diana looked up from her book, squinting at Spencer. "Spencer?" She hesitantly spoke.

The weight lifted off Spencer's heart. "Yeah, mom it's me." He leaned down to hug her.

"I've missed you, Spencer."

"Yeah, me too mom." He pulled up a stool and sat in front of her.

"You have something to say?" Diana proclaimed.

"What?" Spencer leaned sat upright.

"You are here for a reason?"

"How can you tell?" Spencer looked down at his shoes in embarrassment.

"I'm your mother, Spencer. Now what is it?"

"Well...I think I might have found my person." He whispered.

Diana smiled. "I hoped you would." She squeezed Spencer's hand. "Have you told them?"

"I've tried." Spencer cleared his throat. "Actually, I asked her to marry me... last night. I'm sorry I didn't say anything sooner."

Diane stroked Spencer's hair. "She makes you happy?" she asked. Receiving a nod as a reply from Spencer. "Then I don't mind in the slightest. When can I meet Y/n as your fiancé?"

Spencer's eyes flickered up. "How did you know it was Y/n?"

Diana laughed. "I had an inkling from your letters, but it became more obvious when I saw you interact with her. You may be a profiler but I'm your mother. You can't hide your micro expressions from me."

"Wow... umm okay. Well, maybe tomorrow? She wants to meet you again too."

"Excellent. I'll be here. Now go on tell me about her."

Spencer did just that. He told his mother everything he could about Y/n. He didn't realise it, but he talked about her for two hours. It wasn't until a nurse came to take his mother for her daily exercise that Spencer stopped.

He left the home was a pep in his step. His excitement tripled when he read Y/n's message to say she was done from work and would meet him at the baby clinic.