Chapter 8

After last nights unexpected twist with Jeardra, Darcel has been pretty silent. We slept a few feet apart but I had trouble going to sleep because of how low the temperature has dropped. Darcel was quick to lay beside me and keep me warm but he had no intentions of starting any kind of conversation or making any further remarks about anything.

Today, I struggle to keep up with his fast pace, trying to keep my panting quiet because I don't want him to think I'm tired but I'm doing a poor job at it. I believe he's walking fast on purpose either to avoid conversation with me or hoping that I tire enough to want to go back but I won't.

I know he's upset that I'm here, he only wants me to be safe but I make my own decisions and I decided to stay by his side. Jeardra told him that he needs me, after hearing that, I can't help but feel hopeful that she's right. I hope I'm needed, I have to be so I can prove to myself that I'm more than just a pretty face that others see me as.

We've been walking for a long time, mostly uphill, Darcel's eyes flick back and forth between the paper Jeardra gave him and the terrain around us, it must be directions of some sort. I couldn't keep up with him but I don't want to be a bother by any means.

"Darcel," I pant out, slowing to a stop.

"We can't slow down Adelaide. We need to continue." He says without glancing my way.

I nodded in understanding but he didn't see me. It hurts that he doesn't want to speak to me, I really hope he doesn't stay upset with me for too long but seeing that I desperately need a break I'm sure it'll only make him angrier.

After a while longer, it was getting difficult to breathe. I stopped when I couldn't continue any further and leaned against a tree with my hands on my thighs inhaling deeply. I do have great stamina even in human terms but like all humans, there are still limits and I need to stop. I'll catch up with him, I don't want to slow him down.

I drank some water and took a seat on the forest floor, waiting for my body to recuperate so I can continue as soon as possible. It didn't take Darcel long to see I wasn't behind him and he frantically looked around until his eyes landed on me, relief evident on his face.

My lips quirked up at that.

He marched his way back to me and sighed heavily, "Adelaide, we can't stop."

"I know, I know," I wiped some sweat from my brow, trying to control my breathing. "You can go ahead, I'll catch up. I only need a few minutes."

He looked down at the paper he was holding and let out a small growl taking a seat next to me. I could tell he's anxious to continue to wherever it is we're headed and I know I'm a major issue. Screw the break, I won't be the reason we might not make it to whoever is in trouble.

I still need to rest, the oxygen wasn't making its way into my lungs fast enough and I'm sure Darcel can hear it much to my embarrassment.

I stood up, putting my backpack on, starting to walk.

A warm hand encased mine and I turned in surprise. Darcel pulled me back down but this time I was in his lap. His arms wrapped around me, his face immediately made its way into my neck giving me goosebumps everywhere. I listened to the way he breathed me in relaxing into his hold, letting him do whatever he wanted.

"Are you alright?" I asked softly, uncertain about his actions.

"Yes."

I hummed in response, not really knowing what to say next. I'm slowing him down, this wasn't in his plan, he probably resents me for it. I only want to help him but he doesn't think I'm needed here. Although it's probably true, it still bothers me.