Twenty-Four

Once I make it back to the apartment, I'm met by a worried Anandi, her hands planted firmly on her hips.

"I'm not answering a single question of yours until you tell me about your night," I claim, the minute I shut the door behind me. "Is Gray still here?"

Anandi scowls at my immediate refusal to comply with her need for information. "No, she went home. You're not going to tell me what happened?"

I just need to buy myself a little time, so I nod. "I will, but tell me about you first."

"I want to hear this too!" MJ shouts, emerging from her bedroom in a fluffy bath robe. "I heard the door and realised it was you. Clearly, we need a talk."

Rubbing my hands over my tired face, I nod. "Okay. Let me at least get some coffee first."

It's probably been long overdue, anyway, although I'm still not sure how much I can realistically tell either of them about what's been going on.

Eventually, the three of us settle on the sofa with a cup of coffee each and I've also made myself some toast, because I left Josh's without having any breakfast.

"You first," I indicate at Anandi, because I just don't know where to start with my explanation of the night before. "I want to hear all the details about your night."

Anandi wiggles her eyebrows, smirking. "I don't think you want all the details, Nat."

MJ scrunches her nose. "Gross. Just the PG version, please."

So, our friend launches into the notes version of what happened to her the night before, explaining that she's been attracted to Gray for ages, but has never been sure about where the other girl has stood.

Her story is punctuated with a lot of squeals from both MJ and me.

Apparently, they really hit it off at the party and, well, the rest is fairly self-explanatory.

"So, you're going to see each other again?" I ask, taking a sip of my coffee.

It's an exciting prospect, two of my closest friends getting together, but it would be a little awkward if things were to go severely downhill. They're both fairly similar, though, so there's a high chance that it could work really well.

Anandi looks a little flushed as she nods. "Yeah, we're going to go for a drink sometime this week. You'll both have to help me plan an outfit."

MJ raises an eyebrow at her, looking unimpressed. "You're the fashion guru here. It's usually you who helps us with our outfits, so I'm not sure how that work."

Anandi cocks her head to the side, considering this. "True," she concedes. "Well, either way, it'll be fun."

"How was your dinner, MJ?" I ask, still trying to deflect the attention off me.

When I left the soccer house, no one saw me, but I've since had a message from Chase, asking whether I'm still there. I quickly replied that I had gone home and have left his follow up message asking what happened as unread just now.

I'm just not sure what to say.

So, I listen as MJ describes in detail her night, telling us all about the food at this new restaurant downtown that we just have to try, apparently.

Eventually, though, I have to stop dodging Anandi's questioning looks. My reaction probably hasn't helped my case, because now I'm beginning to look pretty suspicious.

"So, Natalie Choi, tell us exactly what you stayed at the soccer house last night," she insists once MJ has finished recounting her night. "No evading this time."