Twenty-Six

The rest of the week is spent studying hard, helping out at the garage and catching up with friends before they all leave to go back home for the break.

The flip side of the majority of my college friends leaving is that some of my high school friends who went elsewhere for college come back for the holidays.

Between seeing them and helping out more in the garage before we run a reduced service for Christmas and New Year, the first week of the holidays passes pretty fast.

Christmas itself is relatively uneventful, apart from a wonderful dinner made by Ruby. I assist her where I can, but she'll always trump me in the kitchen.

Dad and I were never big on Christmas back when I was younger. I think it was pretty difficult for Dad, because it's a time for being with loved ones, but his most loved one wasn't around anymore.

Once Ruby came onto the scene, it got a bit better, but it's still not a big affair, probably out of habit more than anything else.

A couple of days before New Year's Eve, Chase complains that he hasn't seen me in forever, so we agree to meet for a coffee.

I arrive before him and find a table, pulling out my phone to check my messages.

Josh: Honestly, the fun hasn't even started. NYE is even crazier than Christmas, because all the other cousins come too. Will send pics as proof!

Josh: What are your plans for today?

Something funny tugs in my belly, because part of me would love that kind of atmosphere. I love the family that I have, but I sometimes wondered growing up what it would have been like if I'd had a couple of siblings, or have been close to my cousins.

Nat: Sounds great, actually... Please do!

Nat: Meeting Chase just now and then just a night in with Dad and Ruby. Hope it goes well with the cousins!

Josh: Ooh, say hi to Chase for me. I'll call him soon. Have fun, will also call you soon too!

I smile, tucking my phone away before I give myself away with the big grin on my face.

Josh and I haven't called as much over the break, because he's been swamped with what sounds like his entire extended family visiting them.

Apparently, he's been so exhausted at night that he's been sleeping really well, which is only a good thing.

"Hey, sorry I'm late!"

I'm pulled out of my thoughts by Chase, who rushes towards the table. I smile at the droplets of snow dripping down his dark skin, splashing onto the floor. "It's fine, I only just got here anyway."

He flops his large body down into the seat in front of me, smiling brightly. "Good to see you, Natty."

I return the pleasantries and then we both order ourselves a drink. We sit and chat together for a while, just filling each other in on what we've been up to for the last few weeks, but he eventually gets bored of beating around the bush.

"So," Chase eyes me over the rim of his coffee cup. "Have you spoken to Josh much?"

My lips twitch and I put my mug down. "I did think there had to be a reason for you wanting to see me today."
While Chase and I are friends, we don't exactly go for coffee often.

Smiling to acknowledge my point, he nods. "He told me that he's been having a rough time lately, when I asked him a couple of weeks ago. I didn't get much more out of him other than that you've been great."