Thirty

The following day, the news breaks on campus and I feel eyes follow me everywhere.

On my way to the library, I send Josh a message.

Nat: How are you holding up?

Josh: Shaking. Not coming to campus today

Just as well, to be fair. The attention is fairly suffocating. I've already seen on both our social medias that we've been receiving a lot of negative attention. Thankfully, we're both on private anyway, so it's not as bad as it could have been, but it's still nasty.

A lot of boys from the frat that the two guys are from have come out and said that they're behind the two of them, that they don't believe they did it. It makes me feel sick.

Nat: You want company?

I arrive at the entrance to the library, fishing my access card out of my pocket and swiping in, suddenly wishing that people didn't know who I was.

How they all saw my name on the investigation and matched it up to my face so fast, I'll never know. I suppose they could have just looked me up on Facebook or Instagram, but still. It's unsettling, to say the least.

Josh: Chase has stayed just now. They seem to be on a rotation of keeping me company... Thanks though, maybe later?

My lips tug upwards as my affection for the soccer boys grows. They've truly rallied around him and it just shows their character.

Given that he doesn't need me right now, I hunt out a seat before I reply to his message.

Nat: Of course. Just let me know!

Technically, he's probably supposed to be working tonight, but I'm not really sure what his plan is for that.

There's only time to pull out my laptop, before my phone vibrates again.

Jonny: So, I've just watched the news

Bile rises in my throat. I knew with the investigation going public, people would start finding out and those closest to me would connect the dots. It's not like I want to hide it from Jonny anyway, but I just don't know what to say.

Jonny: Are you working tonight? Have a billion hugs to give you. And lots of ice cream after, if you want

My eyes water. Typical Jonny. He's not pushing me, just offering his support.

Nat: You're the best. For real. Think I am coming yeah. Has Dad heard?

Dad doesn't really know how well I know Josh, or that I've even known about what happened, so I haven't told him yet.

Jonny: Always here. He heard it and realised it was your friend, but nothing else. Haven't said anything

Once more, I'm left stuck for words, so I just shoot him a heart emoji and leave it at that.

Dad sends me a text, asking me to phone him and I promise that I will later on.

It's quite difficult to concentrate on my work, though. I can feel people looking at me, scrutinising my every move, I can hear the whispers swirling around me.

It makes me so uncomfortable, so after the best part of an hour, I give in.

Nat: Can I come anyway?

Josh: Of course. Just at the house

On the walk from the library to the soccer house, I stop at a small convenience store to grab some snacks.