10

Chapter 10

Chapter 10

"I did, what? And you didn't try to stop me?"

Quinn walked around the cave in which she cornered Idris to confront him, after hearing about the delights of their previous night from Ejona's side.

"I did! I swear I tried, but you weren't giving up. It is to our customs that the woman chooses her man. I couldn't do anything about it. I couldn't refuse it."

Their first conversation about that night did not go as Idris had imagined it would be. He didn't expect that Quinn was going to react in that way either.

"Yes, of course, you couldn't do anything about it. It must have been so hard for you."

"I was hard - I mean it was hard."

He argued back and defended himself with the most reassuring eyes he owned, not sensing Quinn's sarcasm or her urge to strangle him.

"No, no mister you did wrong and you are not allowed to use those puppy eyes on me. God, I don't know if you are that pure or you are just playing dumb to annoy me."

"But Quinn, I'm not pure anymore. I've sinned with you."

She chuckled at the honest tone of his voice. Either he was that pure or he was a damn good actor.

"Fine, what is done is done. We can't change the past, now let's talk about the future. How is it that we are together and I didn't know about it."

"Well, I am your man. You chose me and I will protect you forever, my mate. I swear to you on my title - as the future Talanian leader."

Quinn didn't expect to blush on this honest confession of his, but she did. And she tried to hide her rosy cheeks, by lowering her head. Luckily for her, she cornered Idris in the insides of their cave or every other Talanian was going to witness how this man was melting her heart.

And wow, did she say - their cave? She was getting domestic after only one night spent there.

"Well, to our customs is that a woman and a man spent time together, getting to know each other first before they actually get together."

"Great. Let's get to know each other then! I should respect your customs too."

One can not be that cute and big at the same time.

Quinn thought shaking her head in disbelieve while Idris rushed towards her side, determined to get to know her as if that could be done in a couple of hours.

Idris spent every second of their dinner time by her side. He even requested the others to leave them alone so Quinn could have him all to herself. That request earned him a tease from Rox and bitterness from Ejona who wanted to be with Quinn as well. After spending her whole childhood with men around her, Ejona was more than ready for female companionship.

Idris, on the other hand, didn't have any sympathy for his little sister's requests. The only thing he cared for at that moment was to be with Quinn. He gravitated around her like the Moon cycles around the Earth. 

But to his big displeasure, his planned time with Quinn was shortened. After dining together for a brief moment, his duty called. One of the warriors from his village came to inform him that there has been some disturbance around the borders. A couple of Khanki moved not too far away from their village and the warriors feared that they were going to attack them during the nights.

Idris was on his feet in an instant. He and the others from the village met at the borders with all kinds of weapons in their hands. Some of the women of the village came to see their family members leave and to wish them good luck.

It was only natural that Quinn stood right next to Ejona to see them depart. At first, she thought that Idris wasn't going to say anything, but before leaving he came to her and to her surprise - kissed her forehead. 

"Stay safe and come back."

She spoke after him, feeling the ghost of his lips on her skin. His warmth lingered around her like a soft blanket. Lost in her bubble, Quinn broke away from her thoughts when she saw Ejona's eyes following the back of someone who was not one of her brothers. Even though the person had his back turned towards them, Quinn was able to recognize who it was. But she didn't comment anything on this matter. She just stood by Ejona's side and waited until the last man was out of their sight and deep into the woods.

She didn't really fancy the idea of Idris and the others being out in the woods at night. Not after, she spent a couple of nights there, herself. The forests of Talan were hiding all sorts of vicious creatures. Some with features and abilities, that Quinn couldn't even dare to imagine.

Having nothing else to do, she spent the rest of the evening with Ejona. The other girl showed her how to recognize the herbs they gather for food, diving them from the ones they used for other purposes. Quinn was amazed at how simple, yet fulfilling their life was. They found almost anything they needed in nature. 

Being a scientist herself and living one-half of her life depending on technology, Quinn couldn't but miss everything that involved electricity. It was after she crushed on Talan, that she realized how much she had been addicted to her phone, computer, and her toys in her lab.

Everything on Talan was different. So peaceful and ordinary - yet so magical. In just a few days the place found its way to her heart. The greenery around her was enchanting, the house-like caves primitive but captivating, the people, although half-naked, very pleasant and easy-going.

After Ejona said that she was going to leave for the night, Quinn decided to return to hers and Idris's cave as well. Even though it was already late, she tossed and turned, pleading for sleep to come. Deep inside she knew that it was because of Idris, that she was so restless. She couldn't fall asleep knowing that he was out there somewhere in the forest, facing dangers she didn't dare to imagine. Even if they've known each other for such a short time, Idris became an important part of her life. The big guy knew how to crawl under her skin with his innocence, purity, delicious abs, that mouth of his made to be devoured...

Quinn didn't know how much time had passed since she drifted off thinking about him. It could have been hours or mere minutes. It was only when he stormed back inside the cave that she realized she had fallen asleep. 

But what startled her the most was Idris's rigid posture. He was panting, walking around the cave, like a mad man. When Quinn couldn't reach him with words, she went for his arm. Slowly not to frighten him, Quinn traced his skin with her fingertips. Before she could utter another thing, Idris beat her to it.

"I saw her out there - my mother."

N O T E :

It's been so long since I updated this. I missed the story so much. How did you like this chapter? Let me know what you think. The Talanian Leader is now available on Patreon as well. For more information, check the conversation box on my profile.

Stay healthy and happy!

-THIA.