04

Chapter 04

Chapter 04

"Huh, again? I'm getting tired of you waking me up like this, Idris?"

Quinn watery coughed out her comment, even before she managed to open her eyes. Like a déjà vu, she felt Idris's hands pumping her chest and bringing her back from the edge of dying.

"Do you fancy my boobs so much? I mean, I don't blame you but man, try to find another way to wake me up next time! A kiss would do the job too, you know?"

She tried to joke to the horrifying expression that Idris sported on his face while hovering over her. Not that she was planning on having a next time. Since she first started her journey, faith was desperately trying to get rid of her. Space ship crushing, checked. Being chased by a two-headed bear-lion mutation, double-checked. Jumping off a cliff into oblivious, well hell. Her life had been threatened more times in a single day than in her whole existence.

"Why am I so wet?"

Quinn asked while she tried to get in a sitting position. Idris was right beside her and seemed to have found relief seeing her alive and breathing again. Water droplets were decorating his skin, sparkling like diamonds in the sunlight. His long hair, previously neatly braided was now a messy wet mop. Although, she had to admit that he was pulling it quite well.

"Hey don't worry, I'm fine. But next time you decide to go on a suicide mission, warn me first."

Seeing the distress written all over his face, Quinn felt the need to reassure him that she was fine. Slowly she patted his shoulder in the same way he did to her before.

Only when she connected her hand with his skin, she realized how stone-cold she was. His skin was like burning lava against her icy hands. And not to mention how pale she was. Her darker skin was slowly gaining blue shades.

She turned her attention to their surroundings. They were sitting on a riverside, which explained why both were like drowned puppies. After jumping off the cliff she and Idris had landed in the river. Although it eased their fall and probably saved their lives, still caused her, liquid-filled lungs. She felt the taste of the water even in her nostrils. 

It seemed that Idris hadn't realized that she was unconscious when they fell, because before he had managed to take her out of the river, she had swallowed a fair amount of water and that was the reason for her current condition.

"You saved me again. Although, this time it was partly your fault still thanks for getting me out. I owe you not one, but two lives now."

She tried to give him a half-smile, but her teeth started to chatter loudly and goosebumps decorated every inch of her dark skin. She shivered slightly, wondering why suddenly she felt so cold even though the day was sunny and warm.