Chapter 7

How the hell did I end up on E? I thought to myself as the  low fuel notification popped up on my dashboard

How the hell did I end up on E? I thought to myself as the low fuel notification popped up on my dashboard. Oh right, Chanel wanted some shit that sent me out of my way yesterday. When I first took her in I had no intention of becoming her lover and errand boy but here we are.

Every gas station I drove past was packed. It was a Friday night so most were probably coming from or on their way to a club. Usually, I made no stops other than the target's location and back home. The only exception was if I had to dispose of the body. The last thing I needed was for me or my car to be spotted on the job later and when the description comes out, someone at the gas station says, "oh yeah, I saw that guy gassing that car up at 1 AM." It would be a wrap as soon as they pulled the security footage. It was looking like I had no other choice so I'd have to switch it up tonight.

I took my card out at the pump but there was a pay inside notification on screen. Of course. The line was long so I went to the back to get an energy drink. The bell sounded as the door of the store opened. I didn't bother looking up. On my way back to the front, Glenn Cothern was walking down my aisle looking like a poor man's Idris Elba.

He meant nothing to me so it was easy to walk right by him. As we passed, I heard a big sniff.

"You must have a wife?" he asked from behind.

"Something like that," I looked down at the ring I still wore. It was a good cover especially when I'm following someone in a place I have no business being in. 'I'm here getting ______ for my wife' was an easy excuse.

"That scent. Chanel 5. My daughter used to love it, wore it all the time. It was her signature. Smelling it again stopped me in my tracks."

I just finished fucking his daughter right before I left the house so it must've transferred to me. "Yeah, she wears it."

"Your wife has good taste," Glenn replied.

"So does your daughter," I said, wanting to see his reaction and start a discussion to find out if he knew any more than what he was saying on TV. He turned to face away from me for a second before turning back.

"Did. You know that was my daughter who was killed late last year. Chanel Cothern. I'm Glenn Cothern, the former governor of this state..." he stuck his hand out for me to shake and I took it.

"Oh, I didn't recognize you. I don't really pay attention to politics or the news like that but I heard something about the case. Sorry for your loss. She was a beautiful girl," I replied.

"Because she looked like her mom," he managed to chuckle followed by a sad sigh.

"Did they ever catch anyone?"

"The only thing that police department caught in regards to my daughter is overtime pay. And the new governor? Unconcerned," more like busy fixing all the shit he fucked up during his term. It really doesn't matter, though. They can send whoever they want: FBI. CIA. KGB. It'll just be a waste of time and taxpayer dollar. "Hey, you look like a guy who may know a little something about the streets and the streets always know what we don't."