Chapter 4

It'd been a few weeks now and Chanel was adjusting much better than I originally thought although the isolation seemed to be taking a toll on her. She had no one to talk to but me and when I'm out sometimes all day and half the night, she was alone. I felt no sympathy toward her because at the end of the day, it's better to be isolated in a mansion than isolated 6 feet under.

I was working on 2 cases simultaneously. The first was $275k. According to Paul, the instructions were to make it look like a robbery gone bad. Paul hired 2 of his lower tier guys to burglarize various houses in the neighborhood all week so it wouldn't look random once I struck.

I'd been following this guy for days. He'd go to work at 8 AM and go home during his hour lunch break. Today was the day. This was a residential neighborhood so I screwed my silencer on before getting out of my unmarked vehicle. Usually I work only at night but this was an exception. I was covered in black from head to toe with a ski mask on my face in case there were cameras. I pulled out my skeleton key but he'd left the door unlocked.

The kitchen was empty but he'd taken out a loaf of bread and turkey slices. After messing around, I readied myself in the corner. It took about 5 minutes but the target, a pudgy balding 50 year old, came out with his zipper undone and shoes off. He was an accountant at a Fortune 500 company by day and was the financial advisor to a crime boss by night. Once the boss hired a 2nd advisor to go behind and found out he'd been stealing, it was a wrap.

He looked on the table and saw that the sandwich he planned on making was already assembled.

"Your welcome," before he had time to react I fired off 2 shots.

The body dropped to the floor. I walked to stand over him. The sound of him wheezing and gurgling blood filled the room.

"In your next lifetime, remember to cover your tracks..." I said before delivering the final shot to put him out of his misery.

My phone rang which caused me to jump. Paul knew not to contact me when I was on the scene so it couldn't have been him.

Her. I tried to slide the bar but it wouldn't go so I took one of my gloves off.

"Yes, Chanel?"

"Hey, are you busy?"

I looked down at the body. "Not really. What do you want?"

"Uhh, I forgot," she laughed, which drew an eyeroll from me. "If I think of it before you return, I'll text you."

I took a picture of the body and sent it to Paul. This was done so our payment could already be processing instead of having to wait until the body is found. Now I had the task of going around collecting valuables like jewelry, electronics and his wallet to push the robbery gone bad narrative. I stuffed it all in my duffel bag and was just about done here. It was 15 minutes until he was due back at work. His coworkers will probably think he decided to take the rest of the day off so it'd likely be the wife who'd find him when she got home at 4.

I was on my way out when I looked at my bare hand reaching for the door. Shit! I didn't put the glove back on after I answered Chanel's phone call. Fingerprints! Where? Probably everywhere. The doorknobs to each room that I raided, a few countertops, the dresser in the master bedroom.

Quickly, I put the glove back on and retraced my steps, using a handkerchief to wipe everything that I touched. Even though my prints were not on file anywhere I still had to do this. It was the thoroughness I carried out every job with that kept me from ever being caught or even under suspicion.

My 2nd job led me back to Chanel's hometown. Murals of her were everywhere. Flyers for information hung on every pole. Reward: 10k. That was nothing compared to what I was going to make on my next target. 400k, ordered by Kyle on Brett. A pair of young entrepreneurs became self-made millionaires 2 years ago. Kyle was a family man and spent his money wisely while Brett was a bachelor spending his money on cars, coke, gambling and hookers. They were rich but Kyle would be richer if he didn't have to split the profits down the middle with Brett who only wasted it. Because they both equally owned the business, there was no way Kyle could legally cut him out. This is where I come in.