Chapter 10

The same plate, glass and fork that I left in the sink 2 nights ago was still there. Chanel did nothing around here anymore and only cooked for herself. That should've been expected though. There was no way I'd be able to continue getting free domestic labor out of her after what went down.

Neither of us have said a word to each other since that evening a month ago. She mostly roams the house when I'm gone. A few times I've come home to find her out but she goes back to her room once she finishes doing whatever she's doing.

Yes, I was hard on Chanel but do I feel guilty? No, especially not after I checked her phone and found an Instagram account. There was no profile picture and it was private but inside it was filled with pictures of her and the cat. She followed all of her old friends and even liked and commented on their posts. Of course she was posing as a stranger but what would've happened if she said too much one day and made them suspicious.

The page was another disaster waiting to happen which told me I made the right decision. This is the way it had to be now. As long as we were together she would continue towing the line of risky, reckless behavior. The only time I didn't have to worry about her acting up was during those first few weeks when she was still scared of me...the good ole days when I only admired her from afar. My first mistake was taking her out of the house on Halloween. It's been downhill ever since because that night I went from Roman, "the hitman who is only tolerating me and could possibly still kill me" to Roman, "is not that bad." Once I became Joe, the power balance that was once all mine shifted toward her because she knew all she had to do was cook or unzip my pants to make me less annoyed with whatever she'd done.

The situation in the house was weird but I was back to my old self on the job. Everything that I do has to be ordered and methodical. Chanel ruined that and was therefore a liability to my performance. I'd fucked up several times thanks to her. Taking my gloves off to answer her calls, when she talked the entire time I followed my target on halloween and tipped him off of my presence, causing me to run out of gas among other things. I have a job to do. And in order to do that job, I had to always be alert with a clear mind and no emotions. Basically, a robot. I've been anything but since she walked into my life.

Today I couldn't afford any mistakes or missteps. Columbian vs Mexican drug war shit. This was Columbia's territory and Mexico agreed not to sell on it. Obviously I wouldn't be here if Mexico held up their end of the agreement. They were selling it right out of the Mexican restaurant I was pulling into the alley beside right now. It was 2 PM, they weren't set to open until 7 but according to Paul, the guy that ordered the hit wanted it done early so he could kick his feet up and watch the reporting on the 6'oclock news. Over 15 people worked here. He wasn't expecting me to kill them all but wanted the 3 ringleaders dead. The rest were collateral. 250k a body.

I spun a silencer on my gun and reviewed the layout of the restaurant once more before getting out. I'd been here several nights this week and the food was actually good. During the day, I followed the ringleaders. They as well as a few more always arrived at noon. The rest didn't show until 5 and I'd be long gone by then.

I could barely breathe in this ski-mask. Usually I didn't wear anything but this was the Cartel(enough said), not some random accountant that got too comfortable with their client's money. I wasn't even in my work car. I stole someone else's just in case I'm caught on camera and they run the plate.

I walked straight through the front door. A young girl was cleaning tables. She was a teen, 16 or 17. School was out now so this was probably a summer job. She's Mexican but I don't think she's related. As a matter of fact she just started the other day.

"We're closed, come back at 7," she said without looking up. I didn't move. Sighing, she finally glanced my way.

"Don't," I said drawing my gun when her mouth opened to scream. "I don't like killing women...but I will. Give me your phone."