8.

'Lydia wait up! Come on Lyds.' Dushanes voice hollered after the girl as she strutted away from the building.

'Go away.' Was all she said, there was nothing more to say in her opinion.

'You're so fuckin moody lately, what's up with you?'

Lydia's head snapped around to face the speaker, his eyes were frantically watching her for the next move.

'They're calling social services on me, I'll be in a care home by the end of the week no doubt. A girl told them about Ryan being in prison.'

Her confession had Dushane baffled as he stood trying to rack his brains for a resolution.

'Leave it with me.' Turning to walk back into Dris's house Lydia strode over and grabbed his wrist making him turn back.

'Don't do anything to Ranell, promise me.'

His mind was torn between his friends and Lydia. It was the perfect opportunity to make some easy money, however morally it was horrendous.

A nod didn't give the girl the reassurance she craved but it would have to do, Dushane wouldn't let up anything else.

'Oi moody arse! Why aren't you at school anyway.' Sully's loud boom appeared from the front door not too far from where the two stood.

'Oh yeah, I've been excluded for a week.'

'For what!' Dris had since gathered by the door and started his fatherly act.

'Slapping the girl that told the school Ryan was in prison,' Nonchalantly she shrugged as if it wasn't a big deal and the boys looked impressed with her antics.

Any other guardian would be displeased and give the teenager consequences but not these men. They were happy that Lydia was holding her own.

'Selling time!' A happy Dris clapped his hands together and got ready to head off to the market, it was his favourite time of the day.

The four of them sat in the corner of a stall waiting for any customer to approach however it seemed to be a dead end.

'Cant make no money out here bruv.' With a kiss of his teeth Dris said what everyone was thinking before Dushane answered a call.

In anticipation they all listened in to see if they could hear what it was about but they couldn't and Dushane leaned away from the prying ears once he realised they were eavesdropping.

'Who was that?' Sully was straight on the case once the call was ended.

'Raikes. Wants to meet.'

'Ah fuck it.' Not seeming too impressed at the request Sully shook his head in annoyance.

'He just wants to meet me though.' What Dushane let up didn't help the situation either, escalating Sully's irritation.

'What d'you mean he only wants to meet you?'

It didn't take too long for them to start bickering over the situation with Dushane admitting he had no idea why it had to be him alone, but the boss wasn't someone to ignore.

'We're meant to be doing this fucking shit together, Shane! Like why didn't you tell him that.' Sully was disappointed with the lack of loyalty his friend displayed.

'I'll tell him when I see him.' Trying to descalate the situation Dushane began to change the subject but Lydia's mind pondered over Sully's lack of invitation.

It was normal for Dris not to be invited, he wasn't really a leader as such like the other two. But Sully had always tagged along and been an equal party in all deals. It took a while for the penny to drop until she realised that there had been a lack of Lee's presence around Summerhill. Usually the old man would pop up once in a while, he especially would after Dushane's beating. Revenge was to be awaited but it never came.

'Wait, where the fuck is Lee?' Lydia broke the random topic apart causing them all to fall silent.

'....well?' She asked again after a long pause.

'What you askin that for?' Just like he did so often at things he found distasteful, Dushane kissed his teeth. It was a habit all three of them had picked up from the streets.

'Well after what you done to him he was bound to react but he hasn't.' The Rogers girl told them her thought process.

'How are we meant to know?' Dris distracted from the question.

'No idea Lyd.' Sully made eye contact with girl which was a mistake, she instantly knew he was lying. His hand reached up to scratch the back of his neck awkwardly, dead give away.

'Don't know why you're all lyin to me.' They all prepared themselves mentally for another Lydia Rogers kick off.

'Lydia if we don't tell you something, it's obviously for your own good.' Dushane explained rationally before the bomb had a chance to explode.

'Which one of yous.' Looking in between the three of them she searched for some sort of truth.

With her pupils looking up and down each of the dealers her eyes set on something strapped to Sully's waist. The revelation made an audible gasp choke up in her throat.

'Is that what you used?' In a hushed voice Lydia moved the side of his jacket to expose the weapon.

A gun.

'Don't be fuckin stupid!' Quickly he placed the jacket back over the item to cover it, turning his head around the market to make sure no one witnessed.

'Just leave it, yeah?' Dushane held the top of her arm as he warned her. Shrugging it away she began the journey home in a huff, Sully got up in a motion to follow but Dushane shook his head.

'Just leave her to it.'