12.

The youths were already loitering on the streets ready to make more money for Dushane. He used kids now to get his drugs from one place and another.

As Lydia strode past they all greeted her, everyone was respectful of the girl Dushane had made sure of that much.

Her eyes scanned the dreary streets until her eyes met with the man she was looking for. He stood at the top of some concerned stairs, arms leant over the railing. His hands stayed firmly in his coat pocket as he walked slowly to meet Lydia halfway on the platform.

'You alright Lyds?' Embracing her in a side hug his aftershave filled her nose, a pleasant but incredibly strong smell.

Lydia thought of how to approach what she needed to say. Either way Dushane was going to be paranoid after she told him so she eventually spat out the words.

'There was this fed sniffing around the salon yesterday. Trying to get information on Kamale's murder.'

The usual kiss of the teeth and a shake of the head was always his first reaction to any bad news. It made the girl before him smile at the familiarity. Dushane loosened up at the sight of her happiness.

'Michael was knicked too for stealing some trainers, no doubt they were sniffing about my business then too'. He shrugged it off.

Michael was a young boy who worked for Dushane. Lydia loved the little one, he was polite and sweet. Trying to get some money for his mum and little brother. He meant well but he was getting involved in stuff way too advanced for his own good.

'I asked you to leave Michael off the roads'. Dushane tensed back up as he mentally prepared himself for a telling off.

'If he wants to seek, what am I meant to do about it?'

'Not let him! Just like you've always done with me Dushane'. She pointed out, crossing her arms like a defiant toddler.

'He needs the money'. The gangster defended his own actions. He loved Michael too and Lydia knew that's

'Just give it him then'. Her statement made him burst out laughing.

'You'd make a shit top boy'. After a few moments he spoke again. 'Anyway present for you'. He presented her with a pair of trainers that he dangled by the shoelaces.

Lydia guessed it was the kids who went stealing shoes yesterday, no way Dushane would've let them keep them but Lydia happily accepted them.

'Good job you got small feet innit'. Dris lurked from behind before the two men started talking business. 'Can you go watch Erin for me?'

Lydia nodded happy she had something to do other than listen to the men discussing boring plans.

'You have to say goodnight to her though or she'll be proper grumpy'. Dris followed Lydia up to their flat.

Erin sat on her bed playing with her cuddly toys. A monkey in one hand and a panda in the other. Her face lit up at the sight of her dad, she idolised that man now her mum was in prison.

Dris sat on the bed for a little bit playing along with her animal storyline until planting two soft kisses on her forehead.

'One from me and one from mum'.

He lit up a cigarette and inhaled the smoke swiftly. Lydia scoffed and grabbed the ciggy from his mouth.

'I've already told you not to smoke around Erin'. She held it at a distance so no smoke blew back into the child's face.

'Anyone would think you're her mother'. Dris chuckled before standing up from the bed and grabbing his cigarette from her hands. He placed a kiss on her forehead too before leaving into the night.

'Where's daddy gone?' Erin filled the empty space.

Lydia swooped her up and spun her around causing happy giggles to erupt. 'Daddy's getting some pennies for you so you can have all the teddy's in the world'.