Word of War

Jack's POV:

I sent (y/n) to send the boys to bed while I talked to Davey about this so-called "bourgh war" that was coming our way. If this really is true I have to do everything I can to keep her and my Newsies safe, whatever it takes.

"When we go to Brooklyn we will have to take my sister to Kathrine's. I don't want her going anywhere near Spot Conlon. Sure he's my friend and I trust him with a lot of things, but my sister is not one of them." My sister is back with me and to keep her safe I am keeping her away from him.

"Couldn't she just disguise herself and we keep her identity secret from all Newsies except the ones of Manhattan? She may be useful, if she has your smarts then she could help us convince the bourgh's that this war is useless."

"Yeah but we don't even know what the war is about. Think about it Dave, if something goes wrong and she gets hurt I'll never be able to live with myself, even if she survives. Remember when Crutchie got put in the refuge? When he got beat up so bad he couldn't even come up to the window? I still haven't forgiven myself, he's never been his same happy self since then."

"He is happy Jack he still has a smile on his face as he sells, he-"

"IT'S FAKE DAVE, DON'T YOU GET IT?" I took a deep breath trying to calm down. "You wouldn't understand, you've never been there. After you leave the refuge, if you survive to see that day, it messes with you. Memories haunt you forever and they don't go away. Every night the screams of those children fill my head, my sister's screams as she was pulled away from me. Her cries of my name, it doesn't go away Dave. Even though I have her back the sounds still haunt me. Crutchie is softer than me on the inside, I can hardly imagine what it's like for him."

Davey's POV:

Jack was right, I didn't know what it was like. He's one of my best friends and I will never know the pain he felt. I was trying to hold back tears when he yelled. I've never seen him so upset but it makes sense, he just got his sister back and he's scared. I'd do the same thing for Les. The thing is, his sister is pretty cute, though I would never try to ruin my friendship with Jack over his sister.

"Y-you should probably get back in there and get to bed, I need to get home with Les anyway. Goodnight Jack, see ya in the morning."

"Goodnight Dave, I'm sorry for yelling it's just-"

I didn't give him time to finish before I pulled him into a tight hug. Yes, I have a real brother, Les, but Jack is my best friend and he's like my brother. 

(Y/N)'s POV:

I saw Davey and Les leave but I didn't see Jack come back and I started to get worried.

"Psst Race...." Race was passed out in the top bunk beside me, "PSST RACE..." I whisper-yelled at the dumb blonde.

He rolled over, cigar still hanging out of his mouth, "what do you want?" he whisper-yelled back at me.

"Do you know where Jack might be?"

"Roof most likely. Probably being depressed. Life's not been since he lost you."

"Yeah I get that." I was trying not to cry, I knew exactly how my brother felt. "Cover for me, I'll be back."

I slipped out of my bunk and raced up the fire escape.

"Jack? You up here?" I whispered, hoping not to alarm him.

I heard crying from somewhere on the roof, I walked towards the sound and found him with his head buried in his knees. I felt so bad for him. I slid down the wall next to him and I guess he knew it was me because he laid over into my lap.

"Everything okay?" I started rubbing my brothers back hoping to make him feel better but I think I made everything worse.

Jack shook his head and started crying more into my shoulder. I didn't remember our mom much but I remember that she used to sing to use when we would cry to make us feel better. I remembered the song but not the lyrics so I started humming.

"Y-you still remember that?" he stopped crying and looked up at me with a tear stained face.

"Only the music, I don't remember the lyrics. But I do remember that she would sing it whenever we would cry to make us feel better." I smiled at him and he smiled back.