Brooklyn

(Y/N)'s POV:

The next morning I woke up in my bunk but I don't remember coming back. Jack must have carried me back to the bunks. I heard boys running through the halls, yelling at each other. I guess this was normal because Albert took Race's cigar and Race yelled back at him that it was getting old.

"(Y/N)!!!! LET'S GO!" I heard Jack yell from down the stairs.

I rushed and threw on my Newsie clothes, tucked my hair into my hat, and rushed down the stairs.

"Where's we goin'?" I tried to practice my accent so that I could blend in with the boys. "Am I sellin wit ya taday?"

"Not quite. Remember what we'se were talkin about last night wit Dave?" I nodded, "well you'se is comin too, he was right, we'se could use ya."

I perked up as he led me outside and to the Brooklyn bridge. I tried to act more manly but it wasn't too hard. From being in the orphanage so long I learned to be tough and fight for myself.

The bridge was beautiful, especially the view. I could sit up there for hours reading a book and just enjoying the view. There were alot of boys, they looked like Newsies, fishing off of the bridge and pushing each other into the water.

Once we completely crossed the bridge one of the Newsies stopped us from passing.

"You'se 'ere ta see Spot?"

"Move out'a da way Runna." My brother said as he pushed the kid aside.

"He's waitin' for ya on 'is throne."

My brother made a thumbs up in the air as he led me in between some crates that are usually on boats, full of traded goods and all.

After twists and turns we got to where all the crates were lined up exactly like a giants throne. A muscular Newsie sat on top of this so called "throne," wearing a red and black plaid shirt, black jeans, and brown suspenders with his brown Newsie cap. He was honestly really cute, but to him, I looked like a boy, Jack's younger brother, even though I was really his sister. I didn't think of this boy as someone I would like but even if I did want a chance with him Jack would have killed him upon two seconds of me liking him.

"Aye Jackie Boy, I guess you got da woid from Runna?" The Newsie stood up and he was shorter than I expected, but still, he was taller than me.

"Yeah, I'se gots da woid, and I'se don' like it. Look Spot I'se don' know what dis 'war' is over but I'se just gonna flat out say it, we'se not joinin' ya and we'se not even takin' place in da war."

Spot hung his head and walked over to my brother. "Who's da kid Jack?"

"Dis is my little brudda, Fox, he's as sly as me but just quicker and a little bit more sneaky." Fox? Yeah sure I was sneaky but he doesn't know that. But I kind of like the nickname besides every Newsie has a nickname.

"Since when ya gots a brudda?"

"Since ev'a, we'se were separated at a young age and I'se thoughts h-hes died." I could tell he was trying not to give the secret away but it was hard for him to lie about me being a boy.

"Well, does he talk?" He got in my face and smirked, I didn't appreciate it much.

"Yes I'se talks, jus' not ta you." I tried to keep a straight, intimidating look on my face.

"Ooh, feisty. One thing you should know, you may be Jack's younger brother but if we don't start off on the right foot, we will not be friends."

"I never said I wanted to be your friend so don't start assuming things."

He scoffed and looked back at my brother. "So's, foist ya bring me Davey, the walking mouth, now ya bring ya brudda. I'se sees why ya call'em Fox, he is pretty feisty."

"Oh you'se don't even knows da half of it." I shot at him. I could see a smirk spread across my brother's face.

"Jackie boy, go back to 'Hattan and tell da boys that they better prepare for this war, I'se needs ta talk ta... Fox alone." He looked like he was starting to get suspicious and I could tell it was scaring Jack.

I leaned over and whispered into his ear. "Don't worry Jack, I can take care of myself, I've had to do it for years against a kid named Oscar Delancey."

I think he recognized the name because his face turned bright red with anger. "Fine, but he needs to be back soon, I have to go take care of something anyways." He stormed off, leaving me and Spot on the crates.

Spots POV:

Jack left and it was just me and his brother at least I think it was his brother. I never heard Jack mention having a brother but he would always go on and on about having a sister which left me with suspicions.

"So? You'se is Jackie Boys brudda? What 'bout ya sista, is she really dead?"

"Uh y-yeah, s-she is." I could tell this Fox kid was lying, any Kelly never stutters unless they are lying. I figured that out with Jack, he was tough and only stuttered if he was lying, that's how I got good at catching lies and that's why I always know the truth.

"Oh really? Well if you'se really is a Kelly then I'se knows dats you'se is lyin'." Gotcha, she turned bright red, just like Jack when I would catch him lying. "Well hey, don't cha worry 'bout me tellin' nobody. You'se secret's safe wit me."

"Good because this hat is itchy." She took her hat off and her long (h/c) flowing hair fell down the sides of her face. She really did look like a Kelly but she was beautiful. I usually don't see that in girls but she was absolutely stunning.

"He said you'se were dead though, where was ya?"

"Well we were separated when he went to the refuge and I was taken to the orphanage which was owned by Mrs.Snyder and it was pretty much just a refuge strictly for girls. How'd you and Jack meet?"

"Well I'se was in da refuge wit 'im but I escaped and he didn't follow me like he's said he would. Then there was a strike a few years ago and he practically begged on 'is hands an' knees for me ta join, so's I did. Now we been partners eva since."

"Well I better be getting back to him. He'll start to get worried."

"Wait, you'se don't got an accent?" I was going to try everything I could to get her to stay. I didn't want her to go back and I don't know why but I just didn't.

She smirked at me, "only for some people," and then she was gone and I was left on my throne alone.

This girl, this girl made me feel something, I don't know what it is but it's something. Yeah sure I've gone out with some girls but it was only a thing that lasted a week. I don't have time for girls, I'm a Newsie and the head of the Brooklyn borough, I have to take care of my boys.

"Runner!!!" my head spy for Manhattan came running, like always, he got the nickname because of how fast he can run, that's why he's my head spy.

"What'cha need boss?"

"Follow that girl, make sure she gets home safely."

"Yes sir, but where's the boy Kelly brought with him?"

"He took the long way back, now go follow that girl." I didn't know any other way to twist the story where Runner would believe me, he can usually sense my lies.

Runner nodded and ran off towards Fox, that's when I noticed that I never caught her name. Dang it Spot, you were too wrapped up in making her admit she was disguised and didn't even remember to ask her name, good job.

"Until next time Fox." I whispered to myself. What is wrong with me? I've never felt so...so vulnerable.