Chapter 12: Lessons

I finally had a free period to myself. I could get started on some marking ... or I could spend time with Andrew. I got up to pick up Andrew when there was a knock on my door.

"Come in!" I called.

Madame Pomfrey walked in and said, "Hello dear, Dumbledore sent me. He wishes to see you in his office and I will be taking care of Andrew."

I was disappointed because I was really looking forward to spending time with Andrew. Disheartened, I handed him over to her before leaving for Dumbledore's office. There wasn't much going on in the hallways since almost everyone was in class. The only thing I did pass was Mrs. Norris, prowling through the hall.

Once I entered Dumbledore's office I was pleased to see that Demetrius was also there. Both men stood up as I entered while Dumbledore conjured up a seat for me, in front of his desk.

"Hello!" I wished.

"Hello Stacey, please, have a seat." Dumbledore requested.

When I sat down Demetrius said, "We have called you here to discuss your powers. Firstly, are there any concerns you might have?"

I met his eyes for a brief moment. I knew Dumbledore was good at guessing people's thoughts but so was Demetrius. Together, all my cards were placed on the table. I nodded slowly, fiddling with my fingers, as I answered, "Well yes, it has to do with my powers of resurrecting people. Recently, I have been having dreams of someone very close to me crying over a dead body. What if I can't revive them? I would blame myself. What if I can't save someone I love?"

"Instead of thinking about the lives you can't save how about think about all the lives you can save," Dumbledore said smiling.

"Well if you put it like that," I chuckled, feeling a lot better. He had a point there. But I still worried that what if the one life I couldn't save was the one life I couldn't live without?

"Considering everything you have found out and learnt, I understand why you asked Dumbledore to see me," Demetrius stated.

"Yes, I manage to puzzle the pieces together about who you are but why am I being told about my powers so late?" I asked

"I told you she was a smart lady," Dumbledore chuckled to Demetrius.

"Indeed," Demetrius agreed before looking at me. "You found out now because this is when your powers have begun."

"This late?" I asked. Honestly, this could've been so much more useful if I had it when my parents died of when Lily and James died.

"Late? My dear you are so young! Although we are in our 100s so I see why the difference in opinion," Demetrius laughed, along with Dumbledore.

"But it is unusual, we must admit. Most children develop their powers very early, like Andrew will, but not you. It was rather interesting," Dumbledore commented.

"You couldn't access your full ability till now but you were able to do things close to that," Demetrius added.

"I was?"

"Stacey, all those healing spells you created with your father, do you honestly think it was just skill? Besides you may not know this but you were able to heal people very well," Dumbledore answered.

"Really? How?" I asked. This was all news to me.

"It was just in your powers. I recall you healing animals more often than people. Mind that people are much harder than animals," Demetrius explained.

"So when will I be able to learn how to properly use my powers? I want to be ready if anything happens," I said.

"As soon as possible. How does in a few weeks sound?" Dumbledore asked Demetrius.