Chapter 9

So, here we are. The debate has been going on for a while now. Early on Rob was called to represent D66 because their party leader Kaag had to take place next to Rutte. Now I get to watch him walk to the interruption mic every now and then. All focused and agitated in the heat of the debate. Hot. But I got to focus, this debate is an important one. Still, it is a bit tricky to pretend like things between me and Rob haven't changed. I am pretty sure I manage to not let anyone notice but it is weird. Marijnissen demanded that Kaag would be held accountable as a former minister instead of being allowed to participate in the debate as member of the parliament. A bit of a low move, but she beat me to it. Thank God. Otherwise, I would have done it and maybe I would've upset Rob. Not that he seems to mind though, debating appears to be his second nature. He loves it up there, standing behind the mic. His suit impeccable and his face determined. Good lord he is attractive. A bit shocked but not at all surprised I realize I want him. More of him. I want to rip off that nice suit of his. Feel his body against mine and his skin under the tips of my fingers until that concentrated frown disappears from his forehead and his eyes roll back in pleasure. Damn it Jesse focus. It is time to separate the politics from the personal. Hooking up with someone from a different party while being married is already very not cool, and only letting it influence your work could possibly make it even worse.

14.00. The debate is suspended for a lunch break. Lazily I get up from my chair and stretch. That was one long morning. Politicians love to hear themselves talk, you have no idea. I grab my bag and quickly walk towards the cafeteria, where I sit down with my team to discuss what was just said and to decide on what further points to make. While we're talking I get my lunch out of my bag and I start to eat. The meeting is brief, since nothing out of the ordinary has happened so far. Nothing that wasn't expected to happen anyway. So, one by one my colleagues get up to rush back to their work and before I know it I am left alone. With my notes in my hands I look around but I don't anyone I would like to talk to right now. I don't see him.

"Hey Jesse," a familiar voice says behind me, a voice that makes my heart beats faster. It is Rob. I turn around, and trying to sound casual I say "Hey, what's up?" The words sound unnatural and fake to me because well, that's what they are. "May I sit down?" He asks, pointing to the chairs on the other side of the table. "Of course," I answer, trying to not smile like an idiot. Rob sits down and pulls out a lunch box from his bag. Carefully he takes out a sandwich and starts to eat. After his first bite he looks up to me with his big brown eyes. "Some debate huh?" He says. I notice the twinkle in his eyes and can't help but chuckle. "You really love it don't you?" I ask, still smiling. He shrugs and continues eating his lunch. "Can't help it," he says in between bites, "It's just the arguments, the people, the press, the emotions..." He seems to be searching for the right words but I interrupt him. "Just admit it man, you get off on it," I say, instantly causing him to smile. "Well maybe," he says while putting down his sandwich, "but that is not the only thing I get off on." He keeps a straight face but winks. I feel my head turning red. I nod, but I don't know what to say. I frown and bite my tongue to prevent myself from saying something weird. I want to ask him a million questions, but none of them have to do anything with politics. Rob seems to notice this. Without saying another word he picks up his phone and starts typing. Wondering why he would end the conversation so abruptly I stare at him, unsure of what to say. He probably feels that I'm staring at him because he slowly looks up from his phone, with a vague smile on his face. Still not saying anything he nods to me and then he taps his phone. What does he mean by that? I open my mouth to say something but he just repeats his action. Me. Phone. Oh now I get it! Smiling a bit sheepishly I get my phone out of my bag. Rob has sent me two new messages. How smart of him.

Just trying to keep up appearances here...

What's up? Why is your face pulling that weird look?

I follow Rob's lead and don't look up from my phone, but he is right. My face probably looks tense because I need all of my self-control to not stand up, bend over the table, and kiss him on his beautiful lips. In vain I try to keep my fingers from shaking while typing a response.

I want to kiss you.

There. It is as simple as that. Or at least, as polite as I can possibly put it right now. Sexting in the parliament is really one bridge too far. For now.

Same place. Wait there for me. I'll leave 5 minutes after you.

That is all the encouragement I need. Quickly I stand up and gather my things. If someone from my party asks where I was, I'll say I was just taking a walk through the building to clear my mind. That sounds believable enough, doesn't it? While walking to the supply closet I check the time on my phone. 14.19. And a new message from Rob.

That suit looks crazy hot on you.

Butterflies twirl in my stomach. Man, I can barely believe this is my life now. When I arrive at the closet I carefully look around, but I don't see anyone so I open the door and get inside. A few minutes later I hear the doorknob turning. The door opens and Rob enters. "Hi." He says, grinning sheepishly. Quickly I close the door behind him, making sure it is not only closed but also locked. Then, I turn around to Rob. I don't want to waste any more time. One more second and I might start doubting myself or lose the courage to do what I want to do so badly. Also, we are halfway through our lunchbreak and cannot under any circumstance be late.

Rob seems to pick up on the urgency and he opens his arms towards me. "Get over here," he says, or rather commands. I take on step towards him and he pulls me in for a long, passionate kiss. I close my eyes trying to take it all in. To take him in. A warm feeling makes its way down from my toes to the tip of my nose. My hands move from his face to his chest to his hips, trying to keep him close to me. What a lunchbreak. I feel his hands fondle with my hair. "Careful," I murmur under my breath, "We have to get back on national television in 15 minutes."

At 14.45, when the debate continues, I manage to focus but I feel lighter. Happier. What Rob and I have has made this already exciting job even more exciting. I am not sure where this is going or what will be the consequences of it, but for now I do not care. I only care for him

* And that's it for chapter 9! Have a fabulous weekend and as always don't forget to vote :)))