Chapter 22

After another half hour Stefan finally gets home. I walk to the door de greet him and he gives me a kiss. While chatting a bit about how our day was, I heat up dinner again and we get seated. In the back of my mind, I'm still trying to think about how I can possibly get this weekend with Jesse.

"Dinner tastes amazing dear," he says, before taking another bite. I look into his eyes and I notice something is off.

"Thanks," I say, not willing to ask what is wrong as my mind is still with the handsome man I spoke with on the phone earlier that evening. And he will bring it up himself soon enough, probably. Mindlessly I eat my food, still trying to think of ways to get Stefan to agree to me bailing on him for the weekend.

"I have to tell you something." His words pull me from my thoughts. I look up, now seeing a hint of regret in those familiar eyes.

"Yes?" I ask when he does not continue immediately. Stefan puts down his cutlery and fidgets with the napkin besides his plate.

"I have to go away for work," he eventually says, his voice soft but clear. "Corporate wants me to visit the office in London." A smile breaks through on my face, that is a huge deal!

"Congratulations!" I say, "That is amazing." I stand up from the table and walk over to him to give him a kiss. "I'm so proud of you," I whisper against his lips.

"Thanks," he says, clearly relieved I'm not upset or something. Why would I by mad? Yes, I know this means I will see even less of him but I can't get mad when looking at his cute face.

"When are you leaving?" I ask while sitting down again.

"This Friday, and I am coming back on Tuesday," he answers while picking up his fork again. Jackpot. How could I get this lucky? Maybe, in hindsight, if I would not have been so distracted with Jesse, I would have noticed that something is off, but for now I can only think about what this means for my weekend plans.

"Friday, that seems a bit weird." I say while giving it my all to not sound weirdly excited, "why don't you just leave Sunday evening?"

"Oh, you know, because we have the first meeting on Friday already, so this makes more sense," he answers. If I wasn't so preoccupied with someone else, I might have noticed Stefan's reluctance to look me in the eye, or the way his shoulders twitched, but in my mind I am already thinking of what wine to get Jesse. "Rob I hate the thought of leaving you alone for the weekend," he adds, reaching over the table to grab my hand.

"Oh come on," I say with a smile, "I'll be fine. I'll make plans with friends or something."

Stefan laughs, "With benefits I assume?"

I laugh too, refusing to get embarrassed, "I am not answer that. Just go, I am really happy for you, this could be an important step for you career." He nods, but doesn't answer.

A bit later, while Stefan cleaning up the table, I grab my phone to text Jesse.

The plan is on. Friday evening my place. Wear something nice, or nothing at all. 

*It ain't much, but it is honest work ;)