Chapter 10

"Honey I'm home!" I yell while walking into the hallway. Nobody answers and when I walk into the kitchen I notice it is empty. "Hello?" I yell into the empty apartment. No reaction. A bit surprised I put down my bags on the kitchen counter. Apparently Stefan isn't home yet. It is a little strange because he is usually home quite early on Fridays, but it works out fine for me because now I have some time to work on my plan. We've both been quite busy the past few months and because of that we haven't spent a lot of time just the two of us, so I am going to surprise him with a romantic evening. To reconnect. First a candle-lit dinner and then a massage. And hopefully that massage will lead to something more. Lord knows I need a little more.

A few weeks have passed since I last made out with Jesse. After that we both got busy and we didn't get further than a few stolen looks here and a few secret kisses there. Still, he has got me all worked up, and I figured it might be better to direct that new energy towards my beloved boyfriend instead of to someone else's husband. I don't regret what happened between Jesse and me, but I did underestimate how easy it would be to keep the little affair going. Yes, politicians can lie but keeping a secret can still be tricky. For fucks sake, we can't just check into a hotel to fool around a little. It would only be a matter of time before people recognize us. Besides, we are both crazy busy.

While unpacking the groceries I got for tonight, I think about the nice time we've got ahead of ourselves. I hope Stefan likes the surprise. I can't cook as well as he can but he always likes my massages, that's my special talent.

My phone pings. I pick it up from the counter and see it's a new message from Stefan.

Hi sweetheart! I'm staying over with someone, so I'll see you tomorrow. Love you!

My heart drops. That's okay, I tell myself, trying to fight the tears of disappointment. That's part of having an open relationship. It's all right. It really is fine, but also unfortunate because this means that all of a sudden I have to spend my Friday evening alone. I look around my empty apartment, realizing that I really do not want to be alone. Oh well, that's life when you're in an open relationship. Then it dawns on me. I'm in an open relationship. A plan starts form in my head. I text Stefan.

All right, have fun and I'll do the same! ;)

He responds with a 'thumbs up' emoji. Good. I feel a lot lighter than just a few seconds ago. Without thinking about it twice I dial Jesse's number. He doesn't answer right away and for a second I am afraid he won't pick up the phone at all. He is probably at home with his family. More so, I have never called him before, but sometimes a situation does not call for texting. Just before I start to give up any hope that he might answer, he picks up the phone. I sigh with relief when I hear his sweet voice on the other side of the line.

"Hey."

"Hey Jesse, it's me, Rob."

"Yes I recognized your number, everything alright?"

Oh my god he recognized my number. I shouldn't feel flattered, but I can't help but feel special.

"Yeah why?"

"You usually don't call me, what's up?"

"Oh nothing, hey are you still at the office?"

I hear him sigh on the other side of the line. "Yes, it's been a crazy day. Honestly at this rate I won't be home before ten. I already told Jolein to go to her parents without me."

"Oh, that sucks."

I really try to sound like I mean it but I'm not fooling anyone.

"Alright now, don't get too excited. Any way I didn't get the feeling that she minded much."

"Well in that case..."

"In what case?"

For a brief moment I don't know what to say but I am determined to not back out now, so I gather all my courage and open my mouth. "Do you want to come over?"

For a moment it is quiet, then he responds.

"What?"

"Do you want to come over?" I ask him again, while fidgeting with the strap of my bag. "I have all the ingredients for a nice risotto and Stefan just texted me that he is gone for the night, so I was wondering if you'd maybe want to come over and I don't know... Eat together?"

"Eat together?"

"Yeah..." I swallow a bit nervously, all of a sudden not so sure of my plan. "And hang out?"

"Hang out?"

His voice sounds a bit funny, which makes me realize he is probably teasing me. Well, two can play that game.

"It was just an idea, but it sounds like you're busy so I'll leave you to it." I get ready to hang up the phone, but Jesse's next words stop me from doing so. Thank God.

"No no Rob wait, I'd love to." I hear him chuckle. "And besides," he continues, "I would like to see you again. I mean, really see you. It's been a while."

No arguments there. My colleague Klaver who I get to see at work is great, but he is by no means as great as the Jesse I get to see sometimes when we're alone.

"Awesome," I say, "W-what time would work?" He did say he would have to work until pretty late...

"How about eight o'clock?

I look at the digital clock on the microwave. 18.47. "Uhm yeah absolutely." I stutter.

"Great, I'll see you then. Please text me your address again."

"Will do, bye."

Bye." He hangs up.

Quickly I text him my address and then I rush to the bathroom to take a shower. While the hot water flows down my back, I try to wrap my mind around what I just did. It feels surreal. For the first time in years I have a date with someone who is not my boyfriend. And not just anyone, it's Jesse fucking Klaver. Okay Rob, no need to panic, there are rules. Remember the rules. No feelings.

Right

* Looks like they have quite the fun night ahead... 

I hope you are enjoying the story so far! I like writing it and I absolutely love everyones comments! Stay safe and have a good Sunday :)