Chapter 3

The sun had finally decided to make a bright appearance in the blue sky after weeks of harsh snow. The Lotus Pier was bustling with energy as disciples occupied the training grounds and sparred under the watchful eyes of their sect leader. Kids ran around playing all kinds of childish games while Yan Li sat on a step, knitting a purple sweater for her niece/nephew. She had been preparing baby clothes and a new Jiang Sect's jade pendant for the baby, although there was still plenty of time left for the child's arrival. But she was just so excited! Occasionally, she would look up from her knitting to smile at the children running around her or to throw worried glances at the disciples being berated by Jiang Cheng.

On days like this, she missed her A-Ling the most. As a mother, it was in her very nature to worry for her son who was all alone handling a huge sect. She wanted to be with him but also knew that without her, A-Cheng and A-Xian would never reconcile. She may have given birth to one child but she was the mother of three.

So guess her shock, when her A-Ling came striding through the doors of the Lotus Pier, with a huge smile on his face and wildly swinging his arms by his sides. She stood up to engulf him in a hug and placed wet kisses all over his face while muttering, "I missed you so much, my baby!"

Jin Ling complained loudly but showed no signs of stopping her. He could have easily pushed her away. To be honest, he always loved getting coddled by his mother.

Yan Li finally pulled away and gave her son a once over. He looked healthy and happy and that's all she has ever wanted for her son.

"What the hell are you doing here?!" yelled Jiang Cheng, making his way over to them.

"Hello to you too, Jiu Jiu! I am fine, thanks for asking," he replied with dripping sarcasm.

Jiang Cheng glared at his nephew causing the latter to laugh.

"You didn't send us any letter of your arrival, brat!" gritted out Jiang Cheng.

"Didn't I tell you the last time I met you that I will be here a month before the Discussion Conference so that I could help you arrange it?" Jin Ling asked with a frown.

Jiang Cheng stared at him in confusion and after a minute, his eyes widened as realization finally dawned on him and he began pacing with his hands on his head, muttering the word "fuck" over and over again. With all that had happened in the last three months, the Discussion Conference had completely slipped from his mind.

"What's happening?" asked Yan Li, staring at her brother who seemed to be losing his mind. "What Discussion Conference?"

"Oh A-Jie! What are we going to do?" cried Jiang Cheng. "This year's Discussion Conference has to be hosted by us. And it's only a month away!"

"And you are telling me this now?" she screeched. "How could you forget something as important as a Discussion Conference?"

"I should thank our brother for that," he replied with an unimpressed look.

Yan Li sighed. She couldn't blame A-Cheng for forgetting something so important with everything that had been happening.

"Calm down, A-Cheng. We've still got a month. We just need to get all hands on deck and trust me, we'll manage to arrange a decent Discussion Conference," she said.

"That is not what I am worried about, Jie. The Gusu Lan Clan will also be attending the Conference and he will be too," Jiang Cheng said giving his sister a pointed look. "And I also have to send out the invites as soon as possible, giving enough time for our guests to prepare and come here."

Jin Ling had been quietly watching the not so subtle exchange between his mother and uncle and he suddenly remembered a letter he had received from his friend, Lan Sizhui.