Chapter 4

Jiang Cheng walked around with Yan Li, checking the decorations and seating arrangements and in general, making sure everything was well prepared while Wei Ying did last minute touch ups with his talismans. It had been a month of complete madness with disciples and commoners running around like headless chickens, trying to do the duties assigned to them to the best of their abilities. And now, it was the day before the Conference and their guests would soon be arriving.

A disciple rushed up to Jiang Cheng and bowed. "Sect Leader! The sects have almost reached the docks!"

Jiang Cheng rushed out with his sister hot on his heels, to greet and welcome the Sects.

Qinghe Nie arrived first. Nie Huaisang stepped out of the boat, eyes peeking out from behind his beautifully, hand painted fan followed by his senior disciples and bowed to both Jiang Cheng and Yan Li who returned the bow. After exchanging pleasantries with their old friend, a Jiang disciple escorted the Sect to their rooms.

Soon, the disciples from Lanling Jin arrived followed by the Gusu Lan Sect, that arrived with Lan Xi Chen, Lan Wang Ji, Lan Sizhui and Lan Jing Yi. They stepped out of the boat and shared a courteous and graceful bow with their hosts while Jiang Cheng tried his best to return it without sneering.

"Zewujun," began Jiang Cheng. "We are glad to have you here." If anybody noticed how Jiang Cheng didn't bother mentioning Lan Wang Ji, nobody said anything.

"Likewise, Jiang Wanyin," replied Xi Chen with a polite smile and turned to Yan Li. "Madam Jiang. It's been a long time since I last saw you. How have you been?"

"I've been fine, Zewujun. Thanks for asking," she replied shyly, happy with the fact that somebody had acknowledged her presence.

"Let me get somebody to escort you to your rooms," said Jiang Cheng.

"Oh! That's not needed. We'll find our own way, Jiang Wanyin," said Lan Xi Chen.

They turned towards the Lotus Pier and made their way inside while Jiang Cheng and Yan Li stayed behind to greet the remaining Sects.

Wang Ji and Xi Chen stood on the porch followed by their disciples, staring at the people running about, screaming and ordering where certain things were supposed to go. Xi Chen smiled realizing that the arrangements were being done in a haste.

Wang Ji looked around trying to spot a certain someone in black and red but all he could see was a flurry of purple everywhere. And then he heard the voice that he was desperate for. It sounded like he was arguing with someone.

"Shoo! Don't disturb me right now, woman! That stupid nephew of mine did one mistake with a talisman and now all my talismans are malfunctioning!" he heard Wei Ying argue.

He tried searching for the source of the voice and finally, his eyes caught on to a thin figure at the back of the compound, throwing talismans after talismans into the air. His breath caught in his throat at how regal Wei Ying looked, confidently throwing talismans, his eyes scrunched in focus.

'Protection arrays', he realized.

Wang Ji and Xi Chen stared at the duo with unhidden mirth while Sizhui and Jing Yi excused themselves to go and greet their Wei Qianbei.

The old woman standing next to him bristled in anger. "You have five minutes, Wei Wu Xian! After that I will drag you by your ears if I have to!"

Wang Ji didn't like the way the old woman spoke to Wei Ying but he knew better than to get angry.

Everyone in the courtyard stared at them in amusement and Yan Li, who had been watching the entire exchange from the doorway, appeared next to the Lans and shot them an apologetic look. Sizhui and Jing Yi waited for Wei Ying to be done with his work, so that they could make their presence known.