Chapter 5

When Lan Xi Chen reached the courtyard, he found Wei Ying bent over a bucket with Yan Li holding his hair and rubbing his back while Lan Wang Ji tightly held onto his hand, fear evident in his eyes. Jiang Cheng just kept pacing and murmuring, "This was not a part of the plan. This was not a part of the plan."

"Can you just shut up?" snapped Wei Ying, taking a little break from throwing up his guts. Wang Ji wiped away the little vomit at the corner of Wei Ying's mouth causing the latter to stare at him with wide eyes. It was as if he had just realized Wang Ji's presence and his eyes shifted to their entwined hands.

He wanted to pull away but with how good it felt, he allowed himself to enjoy this momentary pleasure which did not last long as another wave of nausea hit him and he barfed into the bucket.

"Is he going to be okay?" asked Lan Xi Chen, making his presence known, only to be ignored.

Wei Ying sat back on his feet and closed his eyes, trying to slow his breathing. When he opened them again, his vision was blurry.

"A-Xian?" asked Yan Li. "What's happening?"

"Help me up," he said, holding his arms out to no one in particular. Jiang Cheng and Wang Ji, each grabbed a hand and lifted him up.

Wang Ji finally asked the question that had been plaguing his mind. "What is wrong with him?"

"I don't see how this is any of your business!" snapped Jiang Cheng, glaring at Wang Ji. "This is all your fault!"

"Jiang Cheng," warned Wei Ying, as he swayed on his feet.

"A-Cheng, take A-Xian to the healer's room," said Yan Li. Jiang Cheng continued to glare at the younger Jade of Lan and she added, "Now!"

Jiang Cheng huffed but wrapped an arm around his brother's waist and escorted him to the clinic.

As Wang Ji made a move to follow, Yan Li stepped in front of him and with a polite smile, she said, "This is a family matter, Hanguangjun. We would like some privacy."

"He's family to me too!" exclaimed Wang Ji. "I don't know what is wrong with him but I am not going to leave him alone when he looks like-," he paused trying to think of a suitable word, "- that,' he said, pointing a finger at Wei Ying's retreating back.

The intensity with which he spoke caused Yan Li to stare at him softly.

"Why did you leave him then?" she asked.

"I did not! I did not leave him that day! He was gone when I returned to the room!" he spoke rapidly, the usual calm and control of the great Hanguangjun nowhere in sight. "Please believe me."

Yan Li sighed.

"Madam Jiang," approached Lan Xi Chen. "It seems to me that there has been a misunderstanding. As an older sibling myself, I understand how you feel and I am sure that all you want for your younger brother is to be happy. I want the same. I am requesting you to give Wang Ji the benefit of the doubt and give him a chance to set things straight."

"Please," begged Wang Ji and with an afterthought, he added, "Shijie."

Maybe it was Lan Xi Chen's charm that got through her or it was the sweetest way Wang Ji had called her 'Shijie' that made her nod completely flustered, as she led them towards the clinic.

When they entered the clinic, Wei Ying was lying on the bed, eyes closed.

"Is he sleeping or did he faint?" asked Yan Li with concern.

"He's sleeping. I guess," said Jiang Cheng. He glared at Wang Ji and snapped, "What is he doing here?"

"That's enough, A-Cheng," warned Yan Li. "Where's Healer Wang?"