Chapter 10

It was in the wee hours of the morning when Wei Ying woke up to the sound of somebody humming. He woke up groggily, disoriented for a few minutes before he focused on the soft voice humming a familiar tune. He tried to sit up, only to wince at the throbbing pain on his abdomen.

Wang Ji was by his side in seconds. "Don't move," he warned. "Your stitches can open if you move carelessly."

Wei Ying stared wide eyed at the tiny hands and feet flailing through the blanket in Wang Ji's arms. He couldn't see the baby.

"Is that-?" his mouth went dry.

Wang Ji smiled. A real, genuine smile. Not the usual tiny quirk of his lips. "Stay here", he instructed. He placed his son in the bassinet, right next to his daughter and carried the bassinet to the bed. He then helped Wei Ying sit up on the bed, back against the head rest and settled next to him.

Wang Ji carefully picked their wide awake son and placed him in his husband's awaiting arms. "This one here is our son, Wei Ying."

Wei Ying stared at his little one, staring back at him wide eyes and a cute little frown on his lips. He couldn't stop the tears that came pouring out and Wang Ji wrapped an arm around his shoulder, drawing him close.

"He's just so perfect, Lan Zhan!" Wei Ying whispered. "I must have saved a country in my previous life to deserve them. And you." He continued to stare at the little one, softly rubbing the back of his finger against his son's soft skin. "What about the other one?" he asked.

Wang Ji picked up little Lan Qing from the bassinet and held her against his chest. "Wei Ying, say hi to little Lan Qing," he said with a soft smile.

Lan Qing chose that perfect time to open her eyes and stare at her father with a deep breath. Wei Ying gasped. With just one look, she literally knocked his breath away.

"Oh my," said Wei Ying, more tears rolling down his cheeks. He touched his daughter's hand only for the latter to tightly wrap her tiny little fist around her father's finger. And just like that Wei Ying was a gone man. "Oh Lan Zhan. This is too much for my poor little heart!"

"They are just so perfect, aren't they?" he asked, softly rubbing his daughter's nose.

"Perfect and tiny. So tiny, Lan Zhan," Wei Ying added. "What is our son's name?" he asked, suddenly remembering that they did not have a name for him. He turned to coo at his son only to find him fast asleep.

"I don't know, Wei Ying. I told them to tell us after you woke up. They should be here any minute now," Wang Ji replied.

Wei Ying stared at his husband who looked like he hadn't slept a wink. But he did not look tired at all. If anything, he looked the opposite. "You didn't get any sleep, did you?"

"No. I just couldn't stop staring at them. I tried to sleep. But sleep wouldn't come to me," he said with a soft smile.

Wang Ji met Wei Ying's intense gaze and leaned forward to capture his husband's lips in a soft kiss. "You've made my life worth living, Wei Ying," he said, pulling away.

"You've given my life purpose, too, Lan Zhan," Wei Ying replied and leaned in to steal another kiss. Just when his lips were about to touch Wang Ji's, little Lan Qing let out a soft cry and an even softer kick to Wang Ji's arm (Say hello to Wei Ying and Wang Ji's new cock blocker!).

Wei Ying pulled away with a little laugh and stared at his daughter with a slight smirk. "Okay, okay, young lady. We are not ignoring you."

There was a soft knock on the door and Yan Li came fluttering in, followed by Xi Chen and Jiang Cheng. None of them looked like they had slept even for a minute but they were all vibrating on their feet, brimming with excitement to play with the babies.