Chapter 9

"Zewujun, a letter has arrived for you from The Gusu Lan Sect," bowed Jiang Xiao, a Jiang Disciple, holding out said letter.

Wei Ying fidgeted in his spot trying to find a comfortable position, that would spare his back from screaming in torture, but with no such luck. He huffed and puffed before he decided to sit perpendicular to Wang Ji and lean on his arm, softly drumming his fingers on the huge bump. Yan Li and Xi Chen stared at his apparent discomfort sympathetically while Jiang Cheng smirked, completely entertained by his brother's discomfort. He was now eight months pregnant and already looked like he was ready to pop and Jiang Cheng made sure to make really good use of the given opportunity to tease his brother.

Xi Chen plucked the letter from the disciple's hands and opened it.

"What does it say?" asked Yan Li, trying to peep over his shoulder.

"It's a letter from uncle," began Xi Chen. "He's extremely happy with our engagement and has apparently sent some betrothal gifts with the letter." He looked at the disciple questioningly.

"There's a carriage waiting outside," he confirmed. "I'll ask the disciples to transfer the gifts inside," he said and walked out after giving them a deep bow.

Xi Chen decided to read the letter aloud. "I want your wedding ceremony to be held in the Cloud Recesses. Take as much time as you need, but when you return, escort Young Lady Jiang and Sect Leader Jiang Wanyin to the Cloud Recesses, so that we can hold a proper ceremony for you. And-," he stopped abruptly.

"Please continue, Xiongzhang," Wang Ji said without lifting his eyes from the parchment on which he was doing calligraphy, "Don't stop at my expense. I can already guess what's written next."

Xi Chen cleared his throat and continued awkwardly. "I heard that Wang Ji eloped with that Wei Wuxian. I can't say that I give my blessings but I also know that I can't stop him from doing what he wants. He's his father's son through and through. Take care and I hope to see you soon. Your uncle, Lan Qi Ren."

The silence that fell upon them was almost deafening. Wei Ying was the first to break it. "Well, at least he didn't outright reject our relationship."

Wang Ji agreed.

"So, A-Xian and Wang Ji," Yan Li began, dispersing the gloom that had settled in the room, "have you thought of any baby names yet?"

"No, not really," said Wang Ji with a slight shake of his head.

"We were hoping, Shijie, that all of you could decide on two names if I were to have twin boys. There's no hurry. Just be ready with the names once the babies are here," said Wei Ying, rubbing his protruding stomach.

"Does that mean you have thought of girl names?" asked Xi Chen.

Wei Ying nodded. "If I were to give birth to a girl, I would want to name her Lan Qing."

There was a distinct clank of a cup being dropped on the table. Four pairs of eyes snapped to Jiang Cheng, who looked pretty flustered.

"After Wen Qing?" he stuttered.

"Yes," replied Wei Ying, narrowing his eyes at his brother's peculiar behaviour. "She was like a sister to me and she saved my life. I really owe her my first born," he laughed. "But that aside, she was an amazing woman. Smart and courageous. I would like it very much if I named my daughter Lan Qing."

Yan Li and Xi Chen nodded.

"She was indeed," replied Jiang Cheng, still sounding pretty dazed.

"A-Cheng, are you okay?" Yan Li asked with concern.