24.

Now that you know I have another person living with me, you'd think my life must have gotten better, but the truth is- it hasn't.

When I first saw Stefanie I had a lot of questions to ask her; primarily about Mom and home. I was actually glad to have someone who held answers. But the problem is Stefanie, (after our not-so-dramatic reunion) has stopped speaking.

She is silent ALL the time. And it irritates me to no end. She stares at the wall all day long, her eyes blank and emotionless. At first, I thought it was the shock and trauma of being kidnapped, but then I understood that she simply does not want to talk to me. She is not crying much either as I did. I am desperate for answers and I am ready to go to any extent to get them.

"Stefanie, it has been two days since you got here. I know it is hard and... ." She is not even looking at me. "I know you hated me at school and probably still do. But this silence isn't going to help me or you. We're running short of time." My voice was barely a whisper and I couldn't get any closer to her.

She was leaning against the wall, her hands hugging her knees. Her lips had curled in distaste when she had seen the two pieces of bread on the plate. 

Her expression told me that for all she cared I could die without her batting an eyelid.

"Please talk to me. I need to know. How is my mom? Is she alright?" My voice was choked with emotion.

Still nothing.

She cannot go on forever without talking. I felt my limbs go stiff and pain threatening to devour me. I have to move. Curbing my frustration, I stood up slowly, brushing the dust off my clothes and went near the window.

Stefanie's POV

I don't want to talk to her. Is that fact too hard to understand for her small brain? Why wouldn't she stop her stupid whining and leave me alone? She looks pathetic, frankly. I have no plans of talking to her. I looked at her figure standing awkwardly near the window. Her hands were clutching at the window bars with desperation.

She is not the only person who wants answers. Where in the world am I? When will I leave this place? Who is this guy? Does he want money, because I can give that to him? Maybe I should try bargaining with him. But he doesn't even talk.

For fuck's sake why had I accepted the invitation to Cordelia's party? Who celebrates getting a fucking pony? I closed my eyes and a memory came galloping like a wild horse, freed from its reins.

"We all miss and grieve for Miss Melinda Sanders, who was a sweet, kind and beautiful girl. We wish and pray that she is found soon and returned to us, safe and healthy. Let us all close our eyes in prayer." My principal had announced in her matter of fact voice. She was gripping the microphone and pretended to wipe her non-existent tears with her other hand.

I had looked around to see passive and bored faces, impatient for the special assembly to come to an end. She had dropped out of school, so what was the point of having an assembly for her? Many had decided she was dead. The police had given up the search, with little to no clues in their hands. Melinda's mother, standing at a corner of the assembly ground, was weeping into her polka-dotted hanky. Beside her, posters of the missing girl were stacked neatly.

I wonder if they'll have another one for me in a few days, full of lies and forced sympathy. My stepfather won't be there, though. I pushed the thought to a corner and opened my eyes, the shrill sound of Melinda's chains bringing me back to reality. She was leaning against the wall, taking in ragged breaths.

If it had taken a moment for me to recognise her it was because she looked like a demented witch. Her wild hair was tangled in knots with split ends and her jeans were torn and filthy. Her T-Shirt was stained at places and her hands were full of scars. She had looked at me with an insane kind of hope like I was an angel sent to save her. I am no angel and she must know that.

I can't believe that out of all the people in this world, I am stuck with a girl-  who doesn't even walk normally. When she had first come to Stephen High, everyone, even the nerds had avoided going near her. She sat alone and was always scribbling something in a notebook. Some even thought she was mute. And then, lo behold- her bubbly awesome friend had jumped from the sky to save her. How romantic!

The truth is I don't feel anything for Melinda Sanders. She has nothing that I should be envious of. I don't even hate her. I hate- hated her sparkly pretty best friend. I will never forgive her for what she did to me. For what she took away from me. Never.

                                          *****************************

Author's Note:
                  Vote and Comment!❤️
P.S: Tell me a secret.
I am a witch masquerading as a human. lol.