19.

(Recap: Melinda is in the Yellow room, kidnapped by a man she doesn't know. Another pair of chains hung opposite to her promising a new companion. Melinda, suffering from Parkinson's disease pours her thoughts in her diary addressed to her friend Clara, hoping that someday she escapes her "Hell")

Never mind. It is not important.
                                                                                            With love,
                                                                                            Mel.
   ________________________________________________________
Bright sunlight peered through the window bars and woke me up. I opened my eyes, and I immediately knew something was wrong. The cheery morning air tried to prove me wrong. I could even hear the vague chirping of a sparrow somewhere outside. I told myself that I was panicking for no reason and an anxiety attack was the last thing I wanted.

I got up slowly to give my limbs a little movement. My doctor had asked me to exercise as much as possible. But I don't think you could do much with your hands chained. I walked for a bit and sat down. My pills wouldn't last much longer and I have to be careful if I wanted to stay alert.

I waited for the stale bread that came through the door hole every day. But today, it did not come. I waited for footsteps or the sound of a door clicking open. No sound greeted me. It was odd since he had not missed a single day. I peered through the hole to see if I could see or hear something.

The cottage was silent. Too silent.

Is he gone? Where did he go? Will he come back? Everything seemed to be normal except his absence. I made sure the house was empty before I started screaming.

Screaming my pain, anger and fear. I thrashed against the walls. I hoisted myself up to the window and screamed like a mad woman. Some part of me hoped that beyond the fields (that stretched forever) someone would hear me. A villager? A farmer? I was imagining my freedom already, a pale silhouette running towards the cottage, breaking open the doors and freeing me. I was hoping, desperately.

"HELP!! HELP!!"

"Somebody help me...I am here!!!"

I pushed the chains against each other, creating all the noise I could. I was breathing heavily, my hands clutching the iron bars of the window. Perspiration clung to my skin like a thin sheen, shining in the sunlight.

Please, somebody, hear me. Please.

But the fields were stoic and uncaring. No leaves rustled and no one came running. It was almost noon when I closed my eyes and let out a breath, trying  to accept defeat. Exhaustion embraced me in her grasp and I let myself into her arms. I took the diary and held it close to me as if it had the key to all my problems.

I wanted a happy thought. A happy memory is the only anchor to my present sea of sadness. I closed my eyes and tried to remember the last time I was happy.
       _________________________________________________
(*past*)

"Mel, I know, I am asking a big favour. But you are the only one who can do this. Do this for me, please!", her emerald eyes shone with anticipation. She was holding my hands in hers. And I could feel her manicured nails poking into my skin.

"Clara, I'm not sure. I've never written plays before. I don't know much about it either. Besides you are giving me such a short time!" I whined emphatically.

We were standing in the middle of the corridor and people were pushing past us. She didn't seem to mind the crowd as she was hell-bent on convincing me for the hundredth time. I looked around trying to avoid meeting her eyes. I saw Stefanie arguing with one of her friends in the other end of the corridor.

"C'mon, You know how much this means to me." Clara was shaking her hands in front of me, a silly smile on her face. The bell rang reminding us how late we were for class.

****************************
Author's note:
I can't believe I have become one of the authors who updates after a year. *mentally shakes her head in disapproval*
Still, to those who read this book even when the author doesn't promise updates- A big thank you!! *cries tears of joy*
Vote and tell me what you think. ❤️
P. S: What is the best book you have read?