21.

"No freaking way."

My eyes widened in shock, although some part of me wanted to do it. Still, that was impossible. Clara was taller than me and maybe she could climb and jump over the wall if she tried. But I was too short.

As if hearing my thoughts, she said, "I'll help you. Trust me on this." She was determined and nothing could stop her. We walked, keeping close to the walls and found a relatively hidden spot.

She hoisted herself up and climbed on the wall. It wasn't as easy as it seemed on first glance. I looked around to see if anyone was watching us, but there was no one in sight. I stood below until she had reached the top of the wall. She balanced herself on top of the wall and gave her hand to me.

"Be careful, Mel."

I took hold of her hand and placed my legs on the wall. It was more difficult for me. Finally, after many falls and failed attempts, we were on top of the wall. I squinted through the sunlight to see our school building. It was smaller than I had imagined. The sunlight filtered through the brick walls, creating strange patterns in the air. I turned around to see Clara looking down at the ground. This was the backyard of the school. A few teak trees were surrounding us and a dusty road leads to a farm beyond.

"Do we jump now?" I asked her, mentally measuring the distance between the wall and the ground. It was risky, but I didn't care anymore.
Without waiting for an answer, I jumped...
____________________________________________________

A scream woke me up, my heart thudding rapidly and my eyes wide with shock and confusion. My body felt numb and weak. Who screamed? Is he back? Where had he gone? My vision was hazy and I was too tired to even sit up. The floor was hard and a cold breeze made me shiver, bringing me back to reality.

It seemed like it was early morning, might be around three or four. Wait, had I slept through a whole freaking day? I tried to clear my misty thoughts and strained to hear what was happening. I placed my ear close to the door and waited.

I could make out a faint voice. The voice of a girl.

What the hell! My hands instinctively went to my mouth in surprise and I stifled the words trying to burst out of my lips.

Who is she? His next victim? Did he go to kidnap her? I was heavily dehydrated and I couldn't think straight. Everything I heard was dim and low.

And then there was silence. There was nothing. Was I imagining everything?

The door opened without warning and my captor stood outside, his black eyes boring into mine. I was still lying on the floor. I tried not to give away the countless thoughts racing through my mind and looked back at him. He made sure that I was awake and closed the door.

After an hour or two, he came in and we had our routine of stale bread and he led me to the open bathroom. I tried to look around the room for any signs of struggle, but there was nothing. Everything seemed as it was before- the table, the small refrigerator, except there was something off about him today. He was more...angry? I did everything as he expected making sure not to get him more frustrated. The tap water was a welcome relief. I slapped down the water across my face and tried to drink as much as possible. Something told me it will be long before I came here again.

I staggered back to my Yellow room. My body was wet after the mandatory shower and I was shivering. He walked close behind me. I wish I had the strength to walk faster. He pushed me into the room and locked my chains, before going out. The door was left open. I slumped against the wall, my wet footprints marking my way through the door.

Within minutes, I heard a body being dragged on the floor. I was more alert this time and I was sure that my mind was not playing tricks on me. The voice had been real. The girl had been real. The question is who is she? And is she alive?

I looked at the pair of chains hanging opposite me, limp and unused. I remembered the dreadful night he had fixed them on the wall. Some part of me hoped she was alive. With another person with me, there was a higher chance of escaping. Another part of me felt bad for her. No one deserved to be here. I sat up and looked through the open door, curious and anxious to know who it was.

He was bringing her to where I was. I saw her lifeless body being dragged inside the room and chained to the wall.

I felt my stomach churn in anguish and dread, on seeing her pale bloodless face.

I would recognise her anywhere.

                                   *******************************
Author's Note:
                  Mmm...Who do you think she is?
                  Vote and show me your love! ❤️
P.S : Ask me something.