Chapter 7: Home Is Where The Reaper Is

Somehow, between the three of them, Bellamy, Rory, and Octavia manage to carry Lincoln's unresponsive body the distance from the garage and back to the dropship

Somehow, between the three of them, Bellamy, Rory, and Octavia manage to carry Lincoln's unresponsive body the distance from the garage and back to the dropship. It's a struggle, but with the three of them each taking some of Lincoln's weight, they get there before he even has the chance to wake up. As they approach their home, they walk the familiar path through the trees and up the slope, passing the Delinquent's graveyard and then walking through the now burnt walls and gates. The skeleton's of those taken in the battle, and then subjected to the engine blast, are still strewn across the ground where they fell.

"We save Lincoln first, and then we bury our people. We should've come back earlier than this, we should've come back for them." Rory says, the three of them coming to a stop at the bottom of the slope of the dropship. They gently place Lincoln on the floor and Rory grips her rifle in her hands. "I'll go make sure it's clear, check that nothing has moved in since we left." She tells them, slowly moving the tarp to the side and disappearing from view. A few minutes later she returns, her gun back on her shoulder, the ship being empty. "Lets get him inside, we can use the restraints on the top level."

They pick Lincoln back up, getting him up the slope and to the first ladder. Octavia stays at the base, wrapping her arms around Lincoln and taking his full weight, keeping him standing up. Bellamy grabs the seatbelts that had been discarded in the corner, the ones still interconnected to form a rope, and Rory picks up the stretcher they had used for Raven. They position Lincoln onto the stretcher, making him as secure as they possibly can, and then thread some more of the belts into the back giving them something to pull on. Bellamy climbs up the ladder first, and then Rory and Octavia position Lincoln so the stretcher is flat against it. Bellamy reaches down, Rory grasping his hand and allowing him to pull her up. Once she's clear of the stretcher, she grabs onto the metal ladder and picks up the ropes, climbing the rest of the way to Bellamy.

"We pull on three, ok?" He tells her, pulling on the rope tied around her waist to make sure it's secure. Once he's sure it won't come loose, he checks his own and backs away slightly.

"On three or after three?" Rory asks, leaning her weight back onto her heels and wrapping her hands around the length of rope in front of her. She glances over at him, seeing him copying her stance. "Because people say that but what they actually mean is after three."

He shakes his head slightly and looks back at the hole leading down to the ground level. "When I say 'pull' then pull, is that better?" She nods her head and so he calls down to Octavia, telling her the plan. "One, two, three, pull!" He shouts.

The two of them pull as hard as they can on the rope, taking small steps backwards. Down below, Octavia watches the stretcher slowly rise, Lincoln still secured to it. When it's high enough off the ground, she starts to push from her end, helping ease some of the weight. It doesn't take long for the entire stretcher, and Lincoln, to be safely on the second level of the dropship. The three of them reset, starting the whole process over from the beginning, this time using the ladder leading to the top level of the ship. Their method works just as well as the first time and, eventually, Lincoln is off the stretcher and chained up in the same place he was all those months ago.