Chapter 13: And There They Died For Me

When I would muse in boyhood
The wild green woods among,
And nurse resolves and fancies
Because the world was young,
It was not foes to conquer,
Nor sweethearts to be kind,
But it was friends to die for
That I would seek and find.

I sought them and I found them,
The sure, the straight, the brave,
The hearts I lost my own to,
The souls I could not save.
They braced their belts around them,
They crossed in ships the sea,
They sought and found six feet of ground,
And there they died for me.

- A E Housman, When I Would Muse In Boyhood

It takes a few hours for them to make the journey from Camp Jaha to the Dropship, slowed down by a large portion of them making the journey on foot rather than on horseback

It takes a few hours for them to make the journey from Camp Jaha to the Dropship, slowed down by a large portion of them making the journey on foot rather than on horseback. Rory leads the convoy through the woods, Atlas and Arcas flanking her on either side. For most of the journey, the Skaikru representatives are silent, all coming to terms with the loss of Finn, but Rory feels Raven's eyes glaring into the back of her head the entire time they're moving.

When they do finally reach the Dropship, it's around midday, the sun high in the sky and beginning to make it's descent. Rory leads them all through the gates, coming to a stop right next to the ship, leaving enough room for the others and the cart carrying Finn's body to fit into the courtyard behind her. She dismounts, Atlas, Arcas, Lexa, and Gustus all following suit. She hands her reins over to Arcas, allowing the man to take Athena and tie her up with the other horses.

"Where would you like to begin, Skaiplana?" Lexa calls out.

Rory takes a deep breath and turns to face the others, not daring to look at the faces of those she had been with at this very spot hours earlier. "26 of the bodies are Delinquents, the rest are your people." She explains. "I'll walk you through and identify them. All the bodies in the woods, not in camp, are of your people."

"We can get started digging the graves." Marcus tells her, Abby nodding her head in agreement.

"No." Rory says. She glances at the other delinquents in the vicinity. She locks eyes with Octavia, then Raven, then Clarke, and then, finally, her eyes land on Bellamy. She sees the same look reflected on all their faces. "No, we should be the ones to do it. I want us to do it, they're our people, they're the Delinquents so we should be the ones to bury them."

"Rory's right." Bellamy says, walking closer to Rory and Lexa. "Our people, our responsibility. We promised them we'd keep them safe, we owe them this at the very least."

"As you wish, Aurora, Bellamy." Lexa nods.

"The two of us," Octavia calls out, gesturing to herself and Clarke, "will get started on the graves. 26?"

Bellamy nods. "26."

Octavia sends the two of them a small smile, nodding her head, before she heads inside the dropship. When she returns, she has two shovels in her hands. Clarke meets her halfway, taking one of them from Octavia's hands and the two of them make their way towards the gates and to the graveyard just outside, leaving Rory and Bellamy alone to deal with Lexa.