Chapter 19: The New Play From Award-Winning Aurora Montgomery

After their run in with Pauna, the three girls put as much distance between them and the zoo as they can

After their run in with Pauna, the three girls put as much distance between them and the zoo as they can. Eventually, exhausted by the events from the day, they decide to set up camp. Rory quickly collects some wood, and lights a small fire for warmth and to warn off predators. They all settle in around the fire, agreeing that Lexa will stand guard first, and, after Clarke checks Lexa's wound one last time, Rory and Clarke try to get comfortable on the forest floor. They both pass out pretty quickly from sheer exhaustion, but Rory doesn't stay in the deep slumber for more than an hour or so. She tosses and turns before facing the fire, her eyes staring into the flames.

"I thought we agreed I was to take first watch? You should try to get some sleep." Lexa quietly says, noticing Rory's eyes open. "Its been a long day. Well, a few long days."

Rory lets out a quiet sigh and pushes herself up into a sitting position, careful to not wake Clarke. "I'm finding it hard to sleep these days." She admits, shrugging her shoulders. "The only time I've properly slept since Polis has been when Bellamy's with me. I don't know why. He makes me feel safe, I guess. And having him right by my side means I don't have to worry that he's in danger or hurt. Now that he's not here..." she trails off, "he could already be dead. He could be dying alone right now with no one to comfort him or tell him everything's going to be ok. He could-"

"Already be inside the Mountain." Lexa cuts her off, stopping her from spiralling. "He could be alive, and relatively safe. He could be on his way to find the radio and get in contact with you. He could've already made contact with your camp." Rory tears her eyes from the flames, focusing over on Lexa. "I know I've been hounding you about his vulnerability. About how we can't rely on him. But, that doesn't mean you have to give up on him. I just want you to be realistic and recognise the risk."

"I know this mission is risky. Why do you think I fought so hard to stop him leaving?"

"I'm not just talking about the mission." Lexa tells her quietly. "I want you to recognise the risk he poses to you and, the risk you pose to him. I don't want you to break your own heart."

Rory looks back down at the fire, picking at that pesky loose thread once more. "You don't have to worry about that," she whispers, "I don't have one anymore."

"Whatever you say, Aurora."

"I think it's a bit hypocritical coming from you." Rory tells her. Lexa just shakes her head, sucking her cheeks between her teeth and biting down. "Why don't we talk about you, huh? You're so obsessed with me not breaking my heart. With Roan. With Bellamy. Why don't we talk about the Skai girl that's caught your eye? Made you feel things for the first time since Costia."

Lexa's defences come up instantly, part of her fearful Rory is going to pick the right Skai girl, the other part disappointed if she picks the wrong one. Well, not wrong one. Lexa is in love with Rory Montgomery but, she can already feel herself falling for Clarke Griffin. "I don't know what you're talking about."