Prologue

11:30 PM

A/Note: Hey people, it's me ebewriter. Umm, enjoy this small prologue. Thank you for clicking on this prologue. I love U guys and hope you stick around. I will be posting 2 or 3 chapters a week so ENJOY. Comment.Vote.Share

***************************************************************************************

"Annie! It's started"

I looked at the clock which hanged crookedly on my wall. I immediately dropped everything I was doing and ran downstairs. My mum was already sitting on the couch. She signalled for me to take the empty space next to her.

It has been my mothers and I's tradition to watch the Animal fight club. Ever since my dad passed away a few years ago, we commemorated him by watching his favourite program.

I really enjoyed it, and the time I spent with my mum. She selected the NatGeoraphic channel.

Only three minutes in, we were interrupted.

"We interrupt all cable programs to bring you this breaking news"

"15 people found dead at the Oliver Falls Hotel. 3 of the 15 are minors (under the age of 17) and 10 of the bodies have been identified. The murderer(s) is still at large. We urge the public to stay safe us we investigate."

I turned my head to look at my mum so fast I thought I would snap my neck. Colour drained from her face, it was clear she was distressed. In an instant, my joyful mother was replaced by a stressed and pale woman.

"Murder? We've never had a murder since... Ever!" my mum said almost shouting.

"Maybe you shouldn't go to school tomorrow." She suggested, "Isn't that hotel near your school?"

"Don't worry mum, it's ok. The school will advise whether it will be necessary for us to stay home." I answered.

My mum just hugged me and sobbed. "My baby!" were the words she repeated as she gripped me so tight she forced the air out of my lungs. She has always been so dramatic.

She turned off the TV and we just sat there staring at a darkened screen. I was so tired. Those few words had changed the atmosphere in the room.

I kissed my mum goodnight and headed to my room. '15' I thought '3 minors' 'Murderer at large'. Those words played on repeat in my head. A cold sweat ran down my cheek. And I realized I couldn't sleep.

I looked at the piled-up SAT prep books on my desk, and the flashcards that lay next to them.

Ever since I was a kid, I had loved murder mysteries and investigations. I always watched DISCOVERY ID. The more I thought about the murder the more I realized...

It was the 'Perfect' crime. Bodies at the crime scene and some minors all random. The killer must be extremely intelligent. By leaving the bodies at the scene rather than hiding them threw the investigators off. And by randomizing the victims it covered the true victim he or she was targeting. The more random, the more intelligent. But yet again this might be a stunt. One done to gain the attention of everyone. Trying to prove how flawed and vulnerable our system really is...