Chapter 8: Annabeth

Annabeth woke up in darkness. It took her a minute to remember where she was. The bed in the woods.

She sat up and looked at her phone, turning it off quickly so she wouldn't attract monsters. It was around midnight.

Tommy was still on watch. She walked over to where he sat.

"Hey."

"What."

"Why are you still on watch?"

"I'm not tired."

"I don't believe you."

Tommy sighed. "Just go away. Please." his voice cracked on the last word.

"Are you okay?"

"I'm fine."

"Have you been crying?"

"No!" he responded quickly. He hesitated. "You said you weren't done asking questions. Ask me now."

"Are you sure you can answer them?" Annabeth asked.

"What, you think just because I'm younger than them I can't answer questions?"

Annabeth smirked. She liked him. "How do you know Wilbur and Quackity?"

"Quackity's been my friend for a while. Since I was eight. Wilbur's my-" he stopped. "He was my brother."

"Was?"

"He's not who he used to be. He isn't... alright in the head."

Annabeth knew she wouldn't get anymore information from him on that topic.

"Where are you from?"

"A country we built. A revolution. No where, everywhere."

This confused Annabeth. What?

"How did we not know about your gods before?"

"I don't know. We just found out about the rest of the world. All we knew was L'Manberg, Snowchester, Pandora's Vault... I don't know. Wilbur knows more than I do."

I don't understand half the stuff he's talking about. Pandora's Vault... I've heard of Pandora's Box, but nothing about a vault.

"How much do you know about this quest?"

"Almost nothing. Just what was said today."

Annabeth tried to look him in the eyes, but he avoided her gaze. The moonlight revealed tear tracks on his cheeks.

"Are you sure you're okay?" she asked.

"I'm fine." he didn't sound very convincing.

"You should sleep."

"I'm not tired."

"Yes you are. Now sleep. I'll take the next watch."

"I-"

"No."

Tommy sighed. "Fine." he got up and walked over to the last bed, collapsing onto it, falling asleep almost immediately. 

After a couple quiet hours, Annabeth woke up Percy for the next watch.

Who are these people? She thought as she fell asleep.