Keeping Up The Facade

The first exams of the semester were the hardest thing in the world for Louis. It was so strange to have these kinds of exams instead of normal school ones. Louis was studying nonstop for a whole week. This much he had never studied before, but he wanted to do well.

During the exam he was very focused and wrote way too much but afterwards he had a good feeling about it. Glancing at his watch, he realised Harry's next exam was in an hour and he was probably still in the dorm, practising for it. It was a practical exam with both of the instruments he was playing. The violin and the guitar.

Quickly, Louis went back home and stumbled upstairs until he reached their dorm. Through the door, he could hear Harry playing the guitar, but something was off. He sounded sluggish and tired if you knew how good he really was. Carefully, Louis turned the doorknob and opened the dorm door. Immediately, Harry stopped playing and changed his position on the bed.

"You don't have to stop. Keep going" requested Louis nonchalantly.

"There's no use to it. I sound bad anyway" hung Harry his head low.

"What I heard sounded good, but you have been better. What's wrong, Haz?" sat Louis down on his bed directly in front of Harry.

"I can't concentrate. There's too much on my mind" sighed Harry out with his guitar on his lap.

"Maybe you should try to involve it into your play. If you can't keep the thoughts out, let them lead you. Don't be afraid. Let it out" advised Louis him softly.

Unsure, Harry plucked some of his guitar strings and started to play that classical song from before again. This time it sounded way better and more like Harry, but for some unexplainable reason, Louis felt sad. Was Harry sad?

"You were right. Letting my emotions flow with the music helped a lot. Thank you, Lou" beamed Harry joyfully at him.

"No problem" smiled Louis back but it felt forced.

"I'm gonna go now. Do I see you later?" stood Harry up from the bed and grabbed his guitar and the violin case.

"Of course, Haz" assured Louis him.

"Great. Bye, Lou" waved Harry before he left the room.

As Louis was left alone in the room, he put out his notebook and opened it again. After their moment in the music store, Louis had come up with a new songtext and was working on it since. He had named the song Against all Odds and it was obviously about his feelings for Harry and being one-sided bonded but still being in love with him and the way that felt every day.

We might be unbonded, but I still need you here with me. When you're gone my soul longs for you, and I feel lonely. How can that be?

An incoming message on his phone tore him out of his thoughts and his horrible lyrics. He rummaged it out of his bag and looked at the screen. It was a text from Shawn into their group chat.

From Shawn @Weirdos:

'Party time tonight!!! Let's celebrate til dawn'

From Nialler @Weirdos:

'I'm in and Harry too. He just doesn't know it yet'

From Zayno @Weirdos:

'Li and I are in. Tommy?'

From Tommo @Weirdos:

'Sure thing. What about the girls?'

From Nialler @Weirdos:

'Aren't they still in their exams?'

From Nikki @Weirdos:

'Not all of us. I'd guess they're in though. You know A and A. No party without them'