Genetic Drift

Compiling key events...
Time_Lapse=24 HOURS

After unpacking and getting adjusted to a new environment...you'd slept the night away, finally in the arms of the person you'd craved since he'd left. Because of your ambitious undertaking, even after a long flight, there wasn't much to motivate you to get out of bed the following morning.

You rolled over, alone since Elijah had gone to school, or work...his taxing blend of the two.

Dickhart
Today 6:40AM
So, how is it?

To: Dickhart
What are you doing still awake?
Message Sent

Dickhart
Today 6:40AM
Can't sleep.

To: Dickhart
Everything alright?
Message Sent

Dickhart
Today 6:41AM
Don't wanna talk about it. "So, how is it?"

You pinched the bridge of your nose, rubbing the tired away from your eyes, afterward.

To: Dickhart
It's...humble.
Message Sent

Dickhart
Today 6:42AM
So it's a dump.

To: Dickhart
I wouldn't say that...
Message Sent

You'd shot the shit with him until he presumably fell asleep. Once he stopped answering you sighed, staring out of the window – your gaze rolling in the hills outside. Your eyes followed dirt roads broken up by stalls lining each side, a few people coming and going with crates full of produce, and vegetables. You cocked your head.

People watching would keep you occupied, this morning.

But witnessing the joyful interactions between the locals did more than that. It'd gotten you out of bed, and properly dressed. Had you grooming in the mirror, smiling at the abandoned hairs left in the sink by your rather messy boyfriend.

Elijah had left you an allowance, in a sense. You'd decided to use it to give back, and make the flat less of a half-way house and more of a home. Decided to make a fresh meal, rather than eat the frozen plates stocked in the fridge.

You looped the key he'd given you on a hook, and clipped it to your beltloop. Opened the bedroom and living room windows to air out the place – the sweet scent of nature and wet dirt whisking through the apartment.

You took one last glance in the mirror on your way out. You looked presentable enough to go outside, not quite as well-dressed as those in the city, and not as ragtag as the locals seemed to be. A nice mixture of the two, a self-presentation you hoped would be enough to not send up red flags, if they were the type.

As soon as you went through the door, locking it behind you – you felt someone watching.

"So that's why he stopped answering me."

You jumped, turning around. A bronze woman in a very Colbridge-esque attire stood with her arms folded behind her back. She was taller than you. More posh, than you. Had a stick up her ass, holding her spine in perfect posture.

She eyed you from head to toe, and up again.

"An interesting choice for a partner."

"I'm sorry," You squinted, "And you are?"

"No one relevant, it would seem. Enjoy your day."

You caught a glimpse of the nametag hanging from her shirt, her last name, "Wolfen."

A pang beat in your chest, replacing the rhythm that kept you steady. You tried to think nothing of it, but it would eat at you until there was nothing left to devour...