Missing Link

Compiling key events...
Time_Lapse=90 DAYS

The personal attacks and arguments had toned down in the sense that they no longer got physical. You'd stopped taking them to heart, rolling your eyes and blowing him off while you continued to feed him, clean up after him, take care, of him. To your displeasure, you'd submitted to his request to have food and anything else you needed delivered to the house.

You'd tried to keep contact with the friends you'd made, but life was getting in the way.

Elijah, was getting in the way.

He didn't work, or go to class. He only checked in with Professor Stern over video chats and various calls throughout the day. She was resistant to him working on his Capstone from home, at first...you'd heard the conversations. But he'd told her he needed to focus. That he was close to a breakthrough.

She threatened him, after that phone call. Said if he didn't get her results within set times, he'd be removed from the program altogether.

It would be your fault, if that happened. You were the one to suggest it in the first place. The one to light the fire under his ass and remind him he was too good for busy work, assigned for simple grades and standardized tests.

Because of his compliance, you didn't mind picking up where you left off. It was better, almost – he got to see firsthand everything you've done for him.

Elijah crumpled up a piece of paper after ripping it from a large drafting pad. He threw it in the basket next to him, drinking water and pushing up his glasses without looking away from his hand, guiding it while writing new scribbles.

He scribed a madman's journal, written in a scientific language only he and those in his world would understand.

He'd been awake for almost three days. You both had. Sixty-six hours of nonstop catering, and bantering, and provoking.

"I'm so close..." He muttered, hitting the side of his head with the butt of his palm, "I just...there's something missing..."

You dropped a hot plate and full cup on the table, too disgusted to look at him.

You sipped your coffee, leaning against the counter, "Eat."

"I can't right now, I'm on top of something and it'll slip away if I don't-"

"It's been 5 hours." You growled, "Don't make me repeat myself."

This, however, was a rhythm that the two of you had fallen into.

"You don't...under...stand-"

"And I don't care." You pressed him, slamming your cup down.

You walked to his workstation, planting your hand over his messy diagram and leaned to face him directly, "I said, eat."

He jumped, looking to the side and averting his eyes like an abused puppy. It only made you respect him less. He finally listened to you, and went from one chair to another.

Your lips uncurled, checking your phone as you rolled your eyes.

Anthony
Today 2:42PM
Hey, it's been a few weeks. Still alive?

You looked over your shoulder, making sure Elijah was distracted and actually doing what he was told.

To: Anthony
Still alive. You?
Message Sent