Queen's Gambit

"Now this is the law of the jungle, as old and as true as the sky,
And the wolf that shall keep it may prosper, but the wolf that shall break it must die."

New Year's Eve had truly been the start of a new year. A new era.

Since that night, you'd been in multiple meetings with top leaders from all over the globe, including the President of the United States. You had to act surprised when the transhuman project was explained to you and the room in full detail by a sweating Dr. Seymor, who was sent home multiple times due to "feverish symptoms." The events that occurred, the plot put in play...they weren't things you talked about. Unlike Seymor, who let the anxiety and guilt cause health issues, you hardly even thought about it other than with anticipation. In fact, you'd been so unimpressed, unreactive, and complacent, that it started to raise a few questions.

You upped the acting. Started lashing out at politicians and military leaders that were never there on the record. Told them that this research had been taboo. Hidden from the knowledge of the board, both CyberLife's and Colbridge's.  You'd tried to reason with them, tried to explain that if they didn't feel like they could tell anyone – they probably shouldn't be doing it.

You'd received the first of many death threats after that, tucked away in envelopes without return addresses. They were toothless. All bark, and no bite. You were in control, playing the board exactly how you needed to in order to rid the field of those who would rather do harm than good.

When the day finally arrived, you were so jaded from the constant torment from the one who's last name you took. The dangling issue of your acceptance, or lack thereof. You asked him multiple times why he cared what you thought, because he was going to do what he wanted to anyway. Most days anymore, that was something you accepted as a fact of life. In the room where this already-once-failed experiment would be conducted, however, there was an issue that welled emotions in you. Emotions you hadn't felt for months. Nothing in particular, at least, you didn't think so – but you felt something. That alone was alarming.

"It's too dangerous. Let me go instead." Elijah whispered.

The room hadn't populated. You were about to enter, but you waited outside, instead...with rather selective hearing.

"It's not dangerous, Elijah. We've run test after test. This will not be a repeat of Colbridge." Amanda answered.

Out of the mixed feelings, the human traits that seemed foreign in nature anymore, one presented itself: concern.

"And what if it doesn't work? What if the same thing that happened to Hawke happens to you? We were so sure she died, we already had PR writing up a story, and a letter to her parents. Don't you remember any of that?"

"If it's so dangerous, what are we doing here then, hm? Have the years spent toiling on this project meant nothing?" Amanda huffed, "If you'd spent more time like this except worrying about androids, Quality Control would have been much happier with you at launch."

"Maybe dangerous is the wrong word. But there is an undeniable risk, and that is one I am willing to take. Let me take your place. Please."

He...no. No no no, he was talking about getting into the machine. Being the test subject. Running the experiment on himself-

"Do you think my death would be more impactful than yours?" She asked, far too calculated for your liking...as if you had room to talk.

"I know it would."

Echoing footsteps came from down the basement hall as people started walking up from behind you. Your options were to stand there and remain suspicious, or enter the room that seeped of antibacterial lights and sterilization. Elijah and Amanda both looked at you, startled, and regained their composure.