XIX

Jordan haphazardly ran his fingers through his hair, adjusting his collar and jacket in an attempt to look somewhat decent at three in the morning – as if he hadn't been just dragged out of bed by a phone call from the police.

It was funny how he could blindly make his way through the familiar station – not because of his previous internship but because Jordan had a brother who had a habit of ending up in places like these.

Jordan found the reception with ease where a familiar plump police officer was seated behind her desk. Jordan walked up to her, waiting for her to acknowledge him. His eyes slipped to her name tag – B. Michaels – it seemed like officer Michaels was more interested in her computer screen.

Jordan had to tap the glass panel to get her attention. And even then, all he got was an annoyed, "What can I do for you?"

"I'm here to pick up my brother."

"Name," her voice monotone, eyes still not meeting his.

"Ashton Wood."

She paused for three seconds before finally turning her head to face him. She shamelessly eyed him up and down, lips pursed into a disapproving frown. "You'd think you and that brother of yours have a subscription at the office. I see you more than I see my own damn kids."

"They should count themselves lucky then."

Her eyes narrowed, accentuating the layers of smudged eye shadow. "That's no way to speak to your future deputy police chief."

Jordan couldn't help but smirk. "Barbara, what makes you think I'd ever apply for a position at this station?"

"Not good enough for you?" she shot back bitterly.

"Something tells me we wouldn't get along so let me spare you the hassle." Jordan impatiently tapped the counter with his fingers. "Could you call officer Lambert already, I'm in a hurry."

"Officer Lambert is busy at the moment."

"Fine, call somebody else then."

"Don't order me around boy. Take a seat and wait."

She wasn't in the mood to do anything productive for the remaining hour of her shift. And Jordan wasn't in the mood to deal with her attitude. Bad combination.

"Just call anyone, it'll only take ten seconds off your busy schedule."

"In a minute," she spat. "I'm working on more urgent matters right now."

Jordan cocked a taunting eyebrow. "As urgent as playing a round of Solitaire?"

She shot him a suspicious glare, twisting the computer screen away from him. He couldn't have possibly seen anything from where he was standing.

Jordan gestured at her glasses. The reflection had betrayed her.

She snatched the glasses from her face, tossing them into the far corner of her desk. Her wrinkled hand reached for the wired phone where she angerly pushed some buttons as if they had personally attacked her. She caught the smugness in Jordan's hazel eyes and sharply pointed at the empty waiting room. "Sit. Down."

Jordan gave the counter a last pat, mouthing a sarcastic 'thank you' before making his way to the seats. They made him wait another twenty-five minutes before another female police officer came to get him. Jordan didn't recognize her, she must've been new around here.

"How is he?" was the first thing Jordan asked as he followed her.

"Your brother isn't the one you should be worried about. Ask the other guy with a broken eye socket and concussion how he's doing."