XLII

Jordan parked his car in its designated spot in the parking lot in front of the apartment block. He killed the ignition but didn't make a move to step out.

The phone call with Selma kept resonating in his mind. How they'd reached a point where he was truly defenseless against the system of law. The petition he filed, the lists of reasons he provided on why his mother wasn't fit to be a parent, the investigation, the improvements and changes he's made to his own life to be able to provide for his family. It would all be in vain.

He didn't deserve custody because he wasn't good enough. And Carla didn't deserve to lose custody because she wasn't bad enough. That would most likely be the verdict.

Unless ...

Jordan's chest expanded as he took in a long, heavy breath. He dropped his head against the headrest and sighed loudly.

What Selma had been insinuating is that he needed his mother's help. The idea sounded as crazy as it was. Jordan's pride and all the pain Carla inflicted on him and his family got in the way though. No way would he ever be able to stoop so low to beg her for her help. Especially knowing that Carla would never give anything away for free. Even her 'help' came with a price.

And Jordan wondered if they hadn't already paid enough with their miserable lives.

This would be the hardest thing he'd ever done. But he didn't even have any options left. At this point, everything was worth a try. He couldn't take any risks in jeopardizing his own fight by not being able to swallow his pride.

Luckily no one ever choked from it. So, there's that. He had to get over himself and remember what was at stake.

Because life doesn't get better by chance. It gets better by change. And change starts with yourself.

A hand smacked the window on his side and Jordan nearly jumped out of his skin.

He was met with Noah's animated, boyish laughter. The sight of his lively, handsome face, instantly lifting Jordan's mood. He set aside his conflicting feelings and got out of the car.

"You should've seen your face," Noah was still all giggles and laughter.

"Very funny," Jordan faked a stern expression, his eyes still humored. "Come here."

Noah practically slammed into his brother, circling his arms low around his waist. He rested his chin in the middle of Jordan's chest. "You're late."

"I know, I'm sorry." Jordan brushed Noah's bangs out of his eyes. "What are you still doing outside? It's a bit late don't you think?"

"Ashton and I had to take out the trash. It's our turn today. Besides it's not even dark yet," the boy reasoned. With summer nearing, even at seven in the evening, the sunlight still lingered in the sky.

"Hmm," Jordan hummed. "So how was your day?"

Noah pulled away from his brother's embrace. Instead continuously brushing arms as they walked side by side to their apartment.

"Tristan took us to the park after school. Jade only wanted to come along if we did a little picnic."

"And everyone was okay with that?" Jordan sounded surprised.

"Of course, I wasn't. Picnic is the girliest thing ever. I just wanted to go play soccer," he protested. "But you know how Tristan and Ashton get when it comes to Jade. She gives them that look, I know you know what look I'm talking about."

"I have no clue."

Noah briefly stopped in his stride to stare at his brother with disbelief. "Yeah right. You're the worst. You call yourself a grown man but you can't even say no to a six-year-old."