IX

A/N: BOOH!!! Surprise :)

Ashton woke up with the intention of going to school just like he had promised Claire. First he had to make a quick detour to his dad's house to get some of his school stuff.

"Ashton!"

"What?" he yelled back. He plopped down on the pull out couch where he had spent the night to tie his shoes.

Jordan emerged from the kitchen with Jade in his arms. He carefully pushed her hair to the side to show the small bump on her temple. "Do you have something to do with this?"

Ashton's gaze instantly locked with Jade's. He knew that the accidental kick she had received the night before would leave a trace. Jade was nervously pushing her fingers against her lips as if to keep them shut. She could be a little nuisance at times but she wasn't a snitch that little sister of his.

"Nope."

"She won't tell me what happened. I could've sworn it wasn't there last night." Jordan gently caressed the reddened skin.

Ashton got up on his feet and picked up his backpack. "Maybe it happened when she was asleep."

"She does move around a lot when she sleeps," Noah brought up, fighting hard not to let his guilt show.

"Yeah she does. My little monkey," Jordan playfully growled into Jade's little neck, showering her with kisses.

Thanks, Noah mouthed to her. "I'm gonna make some toast."

"Well, I'm heading off," Ashton announced. He turned to Jade with outstretched hands. "Give her to me."

Jordan passed their little sister to Ashton before starting for the kitchen, muttering something about making sure Noah doesn't burn down the apartment.

"We owe you one," Ashton said in her ear, swaying her in his arms a bit.

Jade gasped dramatically as if a genius thought just entered her mind. Her tiny hands grabbed his face, "You can get me jellyfishes."

"Jellyfish," Noah corrected her absentmindedly from the other room. Old habits die hard.

"Who in their right mind would want jellyfish," Ashton asked, amused.

"Because they look funny," she giggled.

"Okay," he chuckled. "I don't know about jellyfish but I can get you a goldfish instead."

"No," she shook her head wildly, her soft curls smacking his face in the process. "It has to be a jellyfish."

"Is she trying to convince you to get her jellyfish again?" Jordan mused as he returned with a couple of hairclips and a comb. "Sweetheart, we've talked about this. Remember what happened to Margot?"

"What happened to Margot?" Ashton was curious.

Jade pouted as she recalled the story her friend had told her. "Margot got bit by jellyfishes at the Carriebean."