XXIII

It was getting late and Jordan hadn't heard from Carla yet so he decided to start with dinner. He could hear the boys in the living room, yelling at the screen. Jordan hadn't been happy to see the new television when he walked in an hour ago. If it were up to him, he would never have accepted the gift no matter how much Carla insisted. But it was too late to take it away now, the kids were having fun with it and to get rid of it now would be mean.

Jordan sighed. He wasn't sure what their mother's true intentions were but she better not have anything up her sleeve.

The familiar tune of the washing machine signaling it was finished could be heard and Jordan frowned. His first thought was that it was acting up again because he surely couldn't remember loading the machine and there was no way the younger kids would have even thought about doing the laundry. But sure enough, when he checked, there was a pile of clean clothes waiting to be dried.

Jordan hadn't really paid attention but now that he scrutinized the small apartment, it sure did look clean to him. Not how he had left the place this morning.

"Did you do the dishes?"

Ashton looked up at the sound of his oldest brother standing in the doorframe. "You're asking me?"

Yeah, that was a stupid question. Jordan pointed at Jade dozing off in Ashton's lap. "Don't let her sleep."

"JJ, hey wake up." Ashton bounced his knees, startling his little sister.

She moaned out her chagrin and snuggled closer into his chest.

"No, no, no, no, no," Ashton tutted, shifting her to sit upright. He took her little hands and guided them to his controller. "Look, you can press the buttons this time."

"Dude!" Noah jumped up, fingers frantically pressing his own controller. "You nearly ran me over!"

"Oops," Ashton chuckled. He brought his lips close to Jade's ear and whispered conspiratorially, "Let's do that again."

"Ash!" Noah let out an annoyed grumble as he tried to save his character from being crashed. "Knock it off!"

Ashton smirked as he successfully flipped Noah's car over.

"Asshole," his younger brother muttered under his breath, having to start all over again.

Ashton suddenly felt Jade's head lolling back against his shoulder. "Jordan! She's falling asleep!"

Jade jolted upright. She blinked, eyes feeling heavy. A hand tickled behind her knee, eliciting a small giggle from her lips.

"No sleeping," Ashton growled into her soft neck.

"C'mere, sweetheart," Jordan reached out for her. She weakly lifted her arms when Ashton grabbed her waist and tossed her into Jordan's awaiting arms. Jade let out a little squeal.

"How many times do I have to tell you not to throw her around like that. She's not a doll," Jordan admonished. Ashton merely chuckled, flashing his trademark smirk. Jordan rolled his eyes and carried Jade to the kitchen. He was about to set her down on the counter but Jade wouldn't have it as she clung to him. "C'mon baby, you're gonna help me make dinner."

"Nooo," Jade whined, burying her face in his t-shirt.

"Yes, you are." He gently put her down near the sink and tried to release the tight hold she had on him. "I know you're tired but you have to eat something first. We'll make something quick and easy."

Jade eventually let her brother go and yawned.

Jordan kissed her adorable face and helped her wash her hands first. He kept his own hand under the tap and ran it over her face too and the touch of the cold water made her gasp a little. Jordan chuckled, that'll wake her up.