XLIV

"You get the grocery bag, I'll carry the heavy stuff," Jordan told his little brother as he opened up his trunk.

"I can take the heavy stuff," he protested. "I'm not a little kid anymore."

Jordan leaned his hand on the roof of the car, looking down at his not so little brother anymore. Noah had gotten taller indeed, the childlike roundness of his face was getting more defined. Even the way he carried himself, was more mature. It didn't escape Jordan's attention how Noah had been carrying his weight around the house since they moved. All he did was help wherever he could, in between his shenanigans of course – the only proof that he actually was still a kid at heart.

Jordan suppressed a proud smile as he ruffled Noah's hair. He gestured at the trunk with a nod. "Go ahead, knock yourself out."

Noah grinned, straightening his shoulders. He reached for the box that held 10 carton bottles of milk. His knees briefly buckled at the weight but he quickly composed himself.

Jordan's smile came through as he shook his head. If Noah wanted to prove himself, it would only be to himself. Jordan didn't need any convincing.

Tristan looked up from installing the new tap onto the sink. His lips pursed as he blew out an impressed whistle. Noah rolled his eyes as he dropped the box on the floor, concealing the fact he probably pulled a muscle doing so.

"Would you look at that, pretty boy turned into big boy, huh?" Tristan grinned teasingly. "When did that happen?"

"Shut up," Noah mumbled, shyly pushing the bangs out of his eyes.

Tristan merely laughed softly.

Noah turned around to get the rest of the groceries when he noticed something odd. "Uh ... why is Jade standing in the corner?"

Jade had turned around when Noah came in. She was biting the inside of her cheek, repeatedly pushing her back against the wall out of boredom.

"Because I made her."

"You made her?"

Tristan got up from his crouched position, putting the spanner away. "Yes, Noah. I did."

"Why?" he sounded irritated for some reason.

"Jade," Tristan spoke, twirling his finger in a circle. "Eyes on the wall."

Jade huffed with a little attitude. "Is it time already?"

Tristan checked his watch. "Four more minutes. Now turn back around."

"Jordan!" Noah's head snapped up at his oldest brother coming in, carrying multiple bags in one hand and a large box of laundry detergent in the other.

"Yeah?" Jordan put down everything on the kitchen table. He nodded at Tristan. "Everything go well with the washing machine?"

"Yeah, Ashton helped me install it in the basement."

"He's still in a bad mood?"

"Kinda," Tristan sighed. Letting some water run in the sink to test the tap. "He's out with Cole and Claire. Just left thirty minutes ago. Figured he'd need to let off some steam after – "

"Jordan!"

Jordan shot his eyes back to Noah, a little concerned at the alarm in his voice. "What is it, buddy?"

"Look!" He stretched out his arm to point at their little sister.

Jordan's eyebrows knitted with confusion. He turned to Tristan for an explanation. "Why is she standing in the corner?"