X

The second Tristan stepped foot outside, he doubled over and emptied his stomach

The second Tristan stepped foot outside, he doubled over and emptied his stomach. He coughed, using his forearm that rested against the brick wall to steady himself. His breaths came out ragged and labored. There was an odd pressure pounding behind his eyes and it seemed like his heartbeat was strangely loud.

Tristan pushed himself off the wall, staggering a little until he found his balance. He dug his hand in his pocket, trying to grab the set of keys but it was like his fingers weren't cooperating. He finally got a hold of them and walked the short distance to Jordan's car.

As he slid into the driver's seat, keeping one foot out of the car, Tristan grabbed the plastic bottle of water in the cup holder. It was the same bottle that had been in the car for months now but at this point he couldn't care less. He undid the cap and used the liquid to rinse his mouth, spitting everything out on the asphalt by his foot. He repeated this a few times until the taste of her washed away. He crushed the bottle in his hand, tossing it against a lamp post.

Tristan closed the door and started the ignition. His eyes squinted against the streetlights that seemed too bright all of a sudden. He blinked repeatedly, already feeling the headache intensifying. A loud horn sounded from somewhere and it took him a full second to realize he was no longer driving in his lane. A pair of headlights coming from the opposite direction nearly blinded him. Tristan's eyes widened and instinct took over. He abruptly jerked the wheel, barely missing the oncoming car.

If he thought his heartbeat was erratic before, it wasn't beating at all right now. One of his hands slipped from the steering wheel to the left side of his chest. He needed to check that he hadn't just gone through a cardiac arrest. The familiar throb against the palm of his hand, even if it was frantic, allowed him to let out a breath of relief.

Tristan couldn't for the life of him understand how he made it to his destination without a single accident, but he did it anyway. As he pulled up, the car jostled from hitting a trash can. The shrill sound of the metal lid hitting the concrete made him wince, his eyes pinched close.

As he started for the driveway, Tristan vaguely wondered if he had even used the handbrake. Now that he thought about it, he wasn't even sure if he had closed the door let alone locked the car.

He didn't even startle when Vinnie barked, bearing it's teeth to him while nearly strangling himself with the chain still tight around his neck. Tristan didn't cast the dog a single look. He pounded his fist onto the door while resting his forehead against the cool surface. Every hard knock reverberated into his body and at some point he couldn't even tell where the sound came from, the banging on the door or his pounding headache.

The door swung open with such a force, Tristan had to use the frame to keep himself upright. He looked up and was met with a pair of glaring eyes.

"What the hell are you doing here banging on my door at three in the fucking morning!" Colby growled. He looked like he had been rudely awakened, his face contorted into an angry scowl.