XII

Ashton curled his arm around Cole's shoulder, trying to keep his weight off his left ankle. They trudged wearily up the path leading to the front door. Ashton glanced at the dog when he heard the clank of chains. Vinnie's ears perked up, his teeth bared in a silent threat.

Ashton pulled up a hand, willing the dog to stay quiet, "Easy boy."

"He looks like he wants to eat us," Cole whispered, his breath fogging in the cold night air. "Do dogs eat human flesh?"

Ashton shot him a deadpanned look.

"Is that a no?"

Ashton slapped the back of his head. "Just go, dumbass."

"Hey easy, or I'll let Vinnie boy over there have a taste of this sweet ass – " Cole smacked Ashton's behind.

"Cole, I swear to god," he hissed through clamped teeth.

Cole's eyes twinkled with mischief.

"Fuck," Ashton cursed under his breath when he nearly stumbled on the cracked paving. He landed on his twisted ankle and his eyes pinched close at the white-hot pain that shot through his limb.

"Watch your step," Cole grunted. His arm tightened around Ashton's waist, pulling him back up.

Vinnie growled, taking a threatening stance.

"He's drooling," Cole remarked. "He definitely wants a piece of your sweet ass."

"Hurry up," Ashton snapped at his friend.

Cole unwrapped his arm from Ashton and helped him lean against the wall while he fumbled with the keys. He pulled a face when the hinges on the door creaked loudly.

Vinnie barked.

Ashton sent a pointed glare at the dog. "Shut up," he whisper-yelled. The plan was to make it into the house without making a single sound. Ashton was certain his dad was passed out by now, he'd usually get cranky when his sleep was disturbed.

"Come on," Cole beckoned Ashton over to him. He helped him lift his arm back around his shoulder before hoisting him into the house. Cole kicked the door shut, earning a murderous glare from Ashton. "Sorry," he offered sheepishly.

The boys quietly made their way upstairs. Ashton's eyes zoned in on his father's room, he couldn't detect any sound or movement from behind the door which allowed him to breathe a little easier. Cole pushed Ashton's door open and flipped the light switch.

Ashton let go of his friend and limped towards his bed. He carefully lowered himself on the bed, lying flat on his back with his feet still planted on the floorboard. His teeth clenched when he tried to kick one shoe off with the other. With a grunt, he managed to sit back up to inspect his sprained ankle.

He peeled off his sock and grimaced. The swelling was pulsing and lightly bruised. When he tried to touch it, he had to bite back a muffled scream.