Ch. 7 - The Smallest of Backflips

(Authors Note: Warning about Kids past. Mentions of suicide, invasive thoughts and possessive relationship (platonic obsession is still an obsession). It's all very short and at the beginning, but it's there.)

***

In the Factory, Kid knew he was different. But before he went home, he never knew how much.

The other Baby Blues were a lot better at pretending to hate puns. Some didn't even have to pretend. But he managed to fake it within the acceptable range ... barely.

He also had a harder time keeping his hands still - even compared to other hyper types, and he had a problem with staring. He just wanted to remember people forever! But no one stays around long enough and it makes him sad. But he's good at smiling anyway.

He had overheard the workers talking about his scores one day. Apparently, had he not managed any better, they would have stamped him as defective ... none of the Baby Blues knew what happened after that. They just knew they wouldn't find a home. Everyone was excited to find a home and receive their First Name! The numbers worked, but they had gotten long over the years of bitty manufacturing.

So he tried really hard to be like the other Baby Blues. He really did! And somehow his score improved enough that he was going to be sent out to a shop.

"BB-7859-2137-EB?"

"HERE!" Kid had bounced excitedly.

He was gestured to which portable room was his. Inside there were two other bitties. An Edge and a Papy. He hadn't met these two before, but he knew what to expect from their types from the lessons.

"HI PAPY! HI EDGE! IT'S NICE TO MEET YOU!" Kid couldn't stop from staring and gesturing wildly in his excitement.

"HELLO BABY BLUE! IT IS NICE TO MEET YOU TOO!" The Papy said as they shook hands firmly. Kid swung the handshake as fast as he could. The Papy tried to match but Kid ended up winning the handshake.

"tch. keep it down. i'm tryin' ta nap." The Edge said from the ground, before muttering. "assholes."

"LANGUAGE!" Both Kid and the Papy yelled causing him to cringe.

***

Finally, Kid got his first experience of the store as he and his new friends were put into a display with new clothes. It was all so big and new and exciting! He couldn't wait to find a home! ... he hoped his new friends could come too. That would be the best!

A few days later there was a ding at the door as a new customer entered. Kid could feel the shy kindness rolling off them in waves. They were clearly unsure about the shop and they continuously fiddled with the edge of their leather jacket, eyes looking everywhere, even as their head was ducked.

They looked very cool to Kid. The person at the desk seemed intimidated by their appearance. He did his best not to stare but he couldn't help his hands moving.

"THIS TIME FOR SURE." Kid said to Edge.

"yeah. whateva. tha's what ya said last time. an' the time 'fore tha'."

"OH COME NOW EDGE! HAVE HOPE!" Papy said. The three waited in clear view of the customers. Other newer bitties doing the same.

After a while, Kid began to notice that the new person's eyes would drift over to his own fidgeting more often than not.

Then they eventually came over.

He was surprised. Most customers head straight for the fuzzy bitties and stay there. But this one seemed to go through all the sections before coming to a stop right before Kid.