Chapter 5: Teens Are Useless

967 words, 5 minutes

"Are you OK?"

That smooth voice... Miwa faced her savior.

Instead of circular sunglasses she firmly believed only he can rock, a black latex blindfold concealed his eyes. Somehow, his hair was spiked up. His hoodie was zipped. He still wore those knee-length trunks, and his feet were protected from the rocky ground by sandals.

Miwa's eyes shook. She felt like tearing up. Just when she thought she was about to die, Gojo saved her.

She couldn't get her thanks out. Instead, she asked, "Aren't you hot in that?"

Gojo chuckled in response. "Your eyes are too pure for that."

Oh, if he knew the things she's seen.

Mahito cleared his throat, gaining both their attention. Miwa felt Gojo's clutch on her tighten slightly, and she appreciated the protective gesture. "Well, well, well, isn't this a surprise?" he inquired pleasantly, terrifying Miwa.

Mahito gestured grandly to Gojo. "Fancy having you here to brighten up this dreary atmosphere."

Gojo smirked and set Miwa down. "I figured you'd be hiding in here because you're too scared to go out and socialize."

The cave became deadly quiet.

Miwa found Gojo even more cool than she did before. She leered at Mahito, thinking it would be wise for him to stay in this cave so that the Sun didn't roast his pale skin further.

Mahito beamed dangerously. "You think you're funny, huh?"

Gojo shrugged effortlessly. "What can I say? I'm a child at heart." He straightened his posture. "But if you want the boring reason, I simply sensed a massive amount of cursed energy coming from here." He held a hand out, gesturing to nothing. "I guess that's why your clone wasn't that much of a challenge."

"I must admit, you're perceptive," complimented Mahito, crouching into a battle stance. "Let's see how you fare against the real deal."

Miwa picked up her katana and held it out in front of her, determined. She felt more confident now that Gojo was here.

Mahito glanced at her and beamed wistfully. "Not you. You'll be useless."

To hear that come from someone far more powerful than her unexpectedly stung Miwa. This normally didn't happen, but rage clouded her serene blue eyes.

She lunged at Mahito, only to be held back by Gojo.

"What did you say?!" she cried. "Say that again!"

"You're useless."

"So that's why you wanted to kill me?! Because you think it's OK to discard people that haven't reached their prime yet?!"