Next day

I wake up on the couch, still in my clothes from last night. "Damn I must've conked out as soon as I got home." I sit up and look around a little bit and remember last night. My heart pounds thinking about the way his strong hands wrapped around my body.

"Mornin'" I hear come from the stairs. My head darts to the voice.

"Good morning, Clay." I smile at him. "How'd you sleep?" I ask him. He leans on the railing of the stairs with a big smile on his face.

"Oh, I can't complain." He walks over to me. I stand up and walk towards the kitchen waving for him to follow me.

"Breakfast?" I ask. He nods. I pour us both a bowl of cereal and sit down. I poke at the bowl for a moment, hesitating to eat. He takes a pause from the bite he's about to take.

     "This isn't poisoned is it?" He asks me setting the spoon back in his bowl.

     "Oh, no no. I was just thinking..." I trail off, lost in the bowl that's sits in front of me.

     "About?" He waves his hand in front of my face.

     "Oh, right." I chuckle. "You're leaving in three days." He frowns.

     "No way it's been two months already, and I only made my first real move last night." He huffs

     "So..." I pause on what I'm about to say knowing this conversation probably won't end how I'm wanting it to. "What does this mean for us?" My eyes still glued to the bowl in front of me.

     "Less kissing and stuff probably, due to me being across the country." He laughs weakly.

     "So you want to try long distance?" I ask.

     "I mean, if that's okay with you? It wouldn't have to be long distance forever... I mean we both could do our jobs anywhere. Let's just see how this goes for a little while before deciding on anything."

      Now it's me smiling weakly, I'm not sure what answer I wanted, that's probably as good as it can get for a new couple (can I even call us that?)being separated across the country.

     "Long distance... sounds like a relationship thing..." I hesitate to start this conversation too but the line needs to be drawn before it's blurred by thousands of miles.

     "Yea- it does. Doesn't it?" He scratches his neck. He looks around frantically. "One sec." He stands and runs outside for a moment and back in with his hands behind his back.

     "What did you- MY ROSES" I shout at him holding a rose that looked like it had been ripped from the shrub in my yard. "What the fuck is wrong with you?"

     "Y/n... will you be my girlfriend?" He asks me.

     "Now hang on you menace, what did you do to my rose bush?" I say in a stern tone.

     "I'm trying to be romantic, please." He huffs

    "Yes. I'd love to be your girlfriend just never touch my baby again." I say grabbing the rose from him.

     "Trust me I won't." He holds up his hand that has three large scratches dripping with blood.

     "Dumbass." I cup the top of his hand and drag him to the bathroom. I close the toilet seat and gesture to it. "Sit." I grab the first aid kit from the vanity and pull out an antiseptic wipe.

     "Woah, woah, woah. I know that shit hurts. I'm good." He says getting up. I put my hand on his shoulder and shove him back down.

     "A dirty plant cut you, it's gonna get infected if it doesn't get clean." I grab his hand and start to lightly dab at the wounds.

     "Fuck you." He said as he thrashed to escape my hold. He pulled me and I almost fell on the ground before he caught me. Our eyes were right in line with each other in this position. He pulled me in for a deep kiss, before I pulled myself away to regain balance.

     "Ok, ok. You're done now. Let me get the bandaids." I wrap his hands in silence blushing profusely.

     "All done?" He asks.

"Yep." I say gathering the first aid kit to put away. "Now... how do you feel about going on a walk?" I ask him.

"A walk would be nice. Where are we waking to" he asks me.

"We could go to the park down the street and feed some ducks." I suggest.

"Ok, you got any bread?"

"Bread? Ducks can't have bread you goon. I've got some leftover rice from dinner the other night. We'll feed them that." I say.

"Can ducks really not have bread?" He asks me.

"Well they can, it's just got very good for them, it's like junk food for them."

"The more you know I guess." He shrugs. "We going now?" He asks

"Yea, let me go change real quick." I run upstairs and put on a pair of jeans and a pink tank top and run back down. "Ok. All ready."

We spent the day messing around at the park. Clay even fell in the duck pond at one point, something about 'If I catch one of the ducks I'm a god and I can't die.' After we watched the sun set it was time to head back home.

Clay and I walked up to my room together so I could get my pajamas, I changed m in the bathroom and knocked on my bedroom door before I went down stairs. "Goodnight Clay, see you tomorrow."

There's a shuffle in my room when the door opens. "Wait." He spoke. There's a beat of silence, his face is flushed red.

"Yes??" I raise my eyebrows at him.

"That couch... its probably not very comfortable." He's avoiding eye contact.

"I've made it all summer I can go another two nights." I shrug

"Well... did you maybe wanna." He scratches his neck. "Join me?" He finally spits out.

"Oh? I mean sure." He steps to the side and allows me in.