Cereal after the milk

Y/N POV

"Then show me?" Clay asks.

"Oh sure, I've got some work to do on it still, especially if you deleted what I had done from the other day." Why am I nervous to show him my plugins, I know they're good.

"Right, Sorry again about that." I was gonna make waffles but it's a cereal kind of morning now. I grab the box down and poor myself a bowl.

"Want some?" I ask Clay.

"Sure, but can I get the milk first?" Why does he want the milk first???

"Pardon? Are you about to poor the milk before the cereal?" I ask him hesitantly.

"Yeah, is there something wrong with that?"

     "No, your definitely messing with me." I stare at him while I slowly hand over the milk.

     "Why do you think I'm messing with you?" He asks me seeming genuinely confused.

     "Uh, never mind" he shrugs and starts poor the milk into an empty bowl.

      "Could you pass the cereal?" I start to hand it to him and he grabs onto it. I don't let go as he pulls it. He finally yanks it out of my hand. "What the hell Y/N?"

     "Sorry I've just never seen someone poor the milk first in real life." He starts pouring the cereal into the milk as I cringe.

     "There's a first time for everything I guess..." brows still furrowed in confusion, he takes a bite. I give him a weird look and go back to pouring myself a bowl. He starts laughing.

     "Yes?" I ask him.

     "I got you man, you really thought I poor the milk first? I was trying so hard not to be visibly uncomfortable that whole time." He continues to laugh. I just stare at him

     "You think you're a lot funnier than you are." I say blankly as he e continues to laugh. "Man if you're gonna mess with me, do something more than pouring your milk first" I roll my eyes and turn away from him to put the milk and cereal away. I hear him get up from his seat. I turn back around

     "What the fuck?" I jump back and see he was standing right behind me and my back hits the cold refrigerator. He holds my face with one of his hand, the other placed on the fridge above my shoulder, and he refuses to break eye contact. I'm trying to look anywhere but his eyes while his burn a hole into mine. I finally look into his eyes and I feel a blush dust across my face when I get the closest look I've ever gotten to his bright green eyes.

     "Y/N... I love you" He starts leaning in while my breath hitches. I lift my head that was pressed to the refrigerator and slowly close my eyes. Just before our lips make contact he starts laughing. "Did I get you that time?" I push him away. My face now red from embarrassment.

     "God, you're the worst." He just keeps laughing. I try and play it off and act unfazed but embarrassment is painted all over my face. Why did I think he was just gonna kiss me like that? Just out of the blue. That's on me I guess.

     "You should've seen the look on your face." He managed to get out between wheezes. I feel so stupid, I'm now wondering if he saw me going in for the kiss as well.

     "Good god, get a sense of humor and maybe I'll laugh." I pick up my bowl and walk out to my backyard trying to get away from Clay's dumb assery. I sat down at the table outside and keep replaying what happened, staring at one of the trees around me while I zone out. I know he saw me go in for it, he didn't say anything but I'm sure he's just waiting to use it as ammo next time he wants to mess with me. I feel a warm tear roll down my face as I stare at the trees pine needles.

     The sliding door that leads to the back door opens, I can't see it but I can hear it. I'm hoping it's anyone but Clay, but alas I hear his smug tone come towards me.

     "I'll have you know that I'm considered quite funny back where I'm from. I'm sorry you don't appreciate my humor-" I turn and look at him annoyed.

     "Woah. Woah woah woah, what going on?" His tone softens once he sees my tear stained face. "Is this about what I did? I didn't mean to upset you, I was just goofing around" I look away from him, but he sits in the chair next to me. He places a hand on my shoulder. "Listen, I don't know what I did to touch a nerve but can we talk about this? I don't want you being upset with me."

     "Just stop." I say calmly. I really don't want to talk about what happened right now, I cannot bear any more embarrassment than I already have.

     "Is this about the cereal thing? Or is it about the I love you thing? Because I was just joking around" He continues to stare me down as I look away.

     "It's about you trying to kiss me." I say. His face that was full of empathy now was mixed with confusion.

     "I'm sorry, I thought it'd be funny... If it makes you feel any better I wasn't actually going to" his words continue to attempt to grasp for more from me to fix what's happening.

     "That's what I'm upset about." I immediately realize what I said. "I mean-"

     "You're upset that I didn't kiss you?" He asks.

     "That's what I said isn't it? I didn't mean it like that I'm sorry." He grabs my hand that sits next to my bowl.

     "Did- did you want to?" He maneuvers his head to try and look at my face, that's turned away from him. "Like, want to kiss me?" I stay silent, did I want to kiss him? I know not answering will likely be taken as a yes, but I don't wanna turn him away just in case. There's a very long pause.

     "Because If I'm being straight with you, I want to kiss you too. But not like that, not just randomly while I'm teasing you. I'm sorry if that sounds weird, and I know we haven't even know each other for that long but it's how I feel, and I don't like hold back on these things." I turn and face him as he says that. If I went for it earlier that probably means I want to, and he wants to kiss me. My face is now flushed once again. He cups my burning face with both of his cold hands and leans forward. He kisses my forehead. It's quiet for a good minute while I just look into his eyes. it feels like forever until I'm snapped out of it, then it feels like not enough.

     "Let's go check out that plugin?" He asks, breaking the silence.

     "Yeah, let's go."