chapter fourteen

chapter fourteen; tic, tac, toe

"Eloise, so help me god I'll kill you if you win again." Moody was indeed in a mood as they sat next to each other at the bottom of the pit. They were on their 56 game of tic tac toe, and Eloise had won 54/56.

Eloise smirked, then laughed silently as she put a line through her three X's, showing that she had won...again.

She added a tally to her winning total on the concrete wall with a dull rock, Moody just rolled his eyes as he made another bracket to play on.

Hearing a loud thump, Eloise shuffled to her feet when she saw light escape the chest. Moody quickly brushed away the 57 games of tic, tac, toe from the dirt to avoid Mad-eye's temper.

"School time." The two watched as Mad-eye levitated Eloise's schoolwork down the pit for her to complete for the week. She has been doing this for weeks now, finishing her work to give back to her professors so her professors and peers wouldn't get suspicious of her absence. Eloise traded her school work for food, not for herself, but for her dear friend Moody.

"Do your homework and I'll think about giving you food." Mad-eye sneered, closing the chest with a thud. Eloise sneezed, the dust above making her nose itchy.

Eloise opened the pot of ink and dipped her quill into the dark liquid. Squinting down at the parchment, Eloise started her Charms homework.

"How can you see, there isn't any light down here." Moody sighed, glancing at what kind of homework she had this week. He silently wished Eloise would ask for his help, he knew she didn't need it but he wanted to show his support.

Eloise shrugged at the man, before jotting down an answer . 

"I can't wait until you get your voice back, I'm getting tired of listening to myself talk." Moody folded his arms, trying to get a smile from the girl.

Eloise looked up from her parchment, giving the man a look.

"I know, I know.... 'If I get my voice back.' I promise we'll get out of here eventually, " Moody patted her leg, then returned leaning on the wall.

"Hopefully we do, you're annoying."Eloise wrote into the dirt with her finger. a smile spreading on her dirty face. She snickered when Moody shoved her a bit before closing his eyes to rest.

After finishing the remainder of her studies, Eloise nudged Moody from his nap so he could get Mad-eyes attention. 

"Oi! Asshole!" Moody shouted, "She's done!"

After a few moments, the two squinted at the bright light as the chest was opened from above.

"Set the quill and ink on top of the parchment." He ordered as he levitated the assignments.

"She knows, you tell her every week, bone head," Moody muttered, making Eloise's lips twitch.

"Pomfrey gave me your past assignments that were graded, your professors are impressed with your work since you can't attend class and you're still suffering from dragon pox," Mad-eye smirked, feeling triumphant.

"So, You're telling me that the whole school thinks Eloise is in the hospital wing? And she's doing her assignments from there?" Moody said before snorting loudly, he loved to get under his skin.

"Yes, Mr. Moody. They give the work to Pomfrey, Pomfrey gives it to me, I give it to Eloise, then back to me- You know what? You're an idiot." Mad-eye finished, glaring down at Moody.

"That was funny, I've never had someone mansplain to me before." Moody chuckled, making a weak smile fall to Eloise's face.

"You're a stupid old man, Moody." Mad-eye snarled.

"How's the tournament? Brought Voldy back from the dead yet, or are you still stalling." Moody spat, earning a worried glare from Eloise.

"Everything is going according to plan thanks to Eloise." Mad-eye shot back, a sneer on his face.

It was true, Eloise was helping plot the murder of Harry Potter by doing small assignments or "missions" for Mad-eye. She was obviously under the Imperius curse when she was needed, but unfortunately, she had no memory of doing these tasks once Mad-eye placed the curse on her.

"You did wonderful, placing the dragon clues all over Hogwarts for Harry, he was going mad! All I need you to do is place this Herbology book in his dorm for the second task." Mad-eye grinned up above.

"These little assignments are useless." Moody groaned, making Mad-eye twitch in irritation.

"Shut it! These clues are giving Harry the upper hand in the tasks, I'm making sure he has leverage so he can make it to the last task where he will have his life taken by the dark lord." Mad-eye laughed devilishly from above, making Eloise shiver.

"The first task was today, and Potter did well thanks to Eloise. The second task will be in a month's time. Until then, You'll continue life as normal down below." Moody smirked, closing the chest after tossing a piece of bread down to the two. The stale bread hit Moody in the head, making him mutter a string of colorful words.

Eloise smiled weakly, handing the bread to Moody.

Eloise wasn't not eating on purpose, she knew that her stomach could take it if she went another week without nourishment. Moody on the other hand wouldn't and she didn't want to be cannibalized by the man.

"Thank you," Moody grunted, giving a piece for Eloise. "Just a bite."

Eloise took it begrudgingly, sinking her teeth into the hard dough.

Eloise smiled at Moody, handing him the rest for him to devour.

"Once we get out of here and I kill that man, We'll go to the kitchens and pig out together." Moody spoke with a mouth full of food, trying his best to stay positive. They both had a feeling they wouldn't make it out alive.

Eloise sighed, swallowing her bite.

"Yeah yeah... If we get out. I know you can't talk and shit, but shut your mouth."