Chapter 12

The first thing that Cody heard was a low grumble, but he remained asleep. It happened once more, forcing the rider to slowly open his eyes. The first thing he noticed was that the sun was just appearing over a nearby mountain and a thin layer of snow coated the ground. Confusion struck him next, since he was in Inferno’s wing shelter but could see outside. Then the smell of herbs and dried blood pervaded his nostrils, making him want to gag and remember what had happened.

                “Inferno!”  he called out in his mind. There was another grumble in response, followed by a flicker of thought in acknowledgement, but no more. “Inferno, are you alright?”

                “I’m alright…though if you were…in my position…you would not agree.”

                Cody hesitated, but sensing some sort of humor in the depths of his dragon’s thoughts he released his worries and hugged Inferno tight. It earned him a slight growl, until he realized his mistake and loosened his grip somewhat on the bandaged chest in front of him. They lay still for several long minutes before Cody dared to interrupt the silence.

                “You could have been killed, it was a foolish thing,” Cody scolded.

                Inferno snorted but moved no more while he answered, “To not accept his challenge would have been worse. I would be seen as a coward and we would have been banished anyways. If I had died I would have died with honor. I would rather be lying here, unable to move or use my body for little more than breathing, than be wandering around knowing that I had shamed both of us with my cowardice.”

                “But the pain must surely change your mind?”

                “Not one bit.”

                “Will you ever fly again, at least? Surely you would miss flying? It would be months or even years before you were healed enough to fly, if that ever happened,” Cody pointed out.

                Sorrow coursed through the dragon’s thoughts before he answered, “Yes, I miss flying even as we speak; it’s not natural for a dragon to be grounded. But still, rather this than dishonor. I don’t know if my wings will ever be restored, but one way or another I will exact my revenge on that miserable snake!”

                “Your revenge will have to wait,” Cody pointed out. “Whether you like it or not, you’re injured. I don’t know how fast you’ll heal, but there’s no way you’ll be moving about for a while.”

                Inferno growled low in his throat but quietly as he could. “What is that miserable smell?”

                “That would be the smell of healing.”

                “Well the smell of healing makes me want to die,” Inferno joked. “On a more serious note, I’m hungry. Now you can get me some food, find someone who can, or get me something…more bitter or healing to eat.”

                “What would that be?” Cody asked curiously, not wanting to move.

                Inferno was silent for a minute, then, “Oleander leaves, daffodil bulbs, larkspur seeds, and maybe foxglove.”

                “Those are all poisonous!”

                Inferno wrinkled his nose in displeasure before growling, “I’m no human, and you and I have very different bodies. I’ve never had them myself, but I know it would work, or at least help. It couldn’t hurt to just get them and let me sniff them. I know what would be poisonous for me.”